CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

WHat is the best way to send C++ classes over TCP/IP?

Hello,

I have a custom TCP/IP librrary and I want to send complete C++ classes over the socket to another application. I am worried about all the normal issues such as endianess, structure padding, etc. Is there a good library that abstracts these details?

Regards,
    Ellay K.

Re: WHat is the best way to send C++ classes over TCP/IP?

It's not a good idea to send objects between programs through sockets, for the reasons you specified. There are two solutions I would suggest.

1) Serialize your data and send that instead. Turn the object into XML/JSON and send it across the socket and have the other application unserialize it. JSON is lighter weight.

2) Used a shared library for both applications, let the library handle the creation and such, and you should be able to pass it to another application using the same library.

By shared library, do you mean a DLL? If not, can you point me to an example using that approach?

Regards,
    Ellay K.

Yes, I mean a dll.

Just a note though, I'm not entirely sure how things like vtables and pointers will act. The two programs are in separate process space, so classes made of PODs would be best.

I recommend serialization myself, that's how servers talk to each other, programs listening to sockets are like servers.