CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Hybrid View

ms sql insert query syntax in VS 2010 C++

Hello everyone.
    Im trying to create a cmd application in VS2010 C++,in which i will read some integer values and insert them into a table in MS SQL server. For the connection of the application with the server i use ODBC.

If i use something like the following, i get results (insert is working):

if(SQL_SUCCESS!=SQLExecDirect(sqlstatementhandle,(SQLCHAR*)"INSERT INTO MyTable(value1) VALUES (111)", SQL_NTS)){
    show_error(SQL_HANDLE_STMT, sqlstatementhandle);

}

after the execution of the code above if i check the database i can see that insert worked just fine. Can someone tell me how i can use variables in the insert query, instead of numbers(like 111 above)?

Also since i couldnt find the proper syntax of insert with integer variables, i tried to create a stringstream(concatenating the insert command with the integer variables), which i later convert to string and use it in my sql command. Unfortunately it doesnt work either!

can someone help please?
    thank you

Re: ms sql insert query syntax in VS 2010 C++

hello again...
    i think i managed to find a solution to my problem- but without finding the proper syntax for insert:

SQLCHAR SQLStmt[100];

sprintf((char*)SQLStmt,"INSERT INTO MyTable(value1) VALUES (%d);",int_var);

if(SQL_SUCCESS!=SQLExecDirect(sqlstatementhandle,SQLStmt, SQL_NTS)){
    show_error(SQL_HANDLE_STMT, sqlstatementhandle);

}

i will proceed with my application for now, if anyone knows the answer to my question please let me know!
    cheers!

Arrow Re: ms sql insert query syntax in VS 2010 C++

I think this definitely is no C++/CLI question, so this is the wrong forum section here. It doesn't seem to really be concerned with native C++ either, so I think the best place to ask is the Database section.

At any rate, welcome to CodeGuru!
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

Re: ms sql insert query syntax in VS 2010 C++

Thank you Eri523
    I'll try to be more careful in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by Eri523 View Post
    I think this definitely is no C++/CLI question, so this is the wrong forum section here. It doesn't seem to really be concerned with native C++ either, so I think the best place to ask is the Database section.

At any rate, welcome to CodeGuru!