CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Beginner needing help with program

Quote Originally Posted by Martin O View Post
    Don't do other peoples homework for them. That helps no-one.
    Does it harm you?

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Rigsby View Post

I am sorry if I embarrassed you over the int char thing! But that is not any reason to stalk my threads and hit me on “indentation” – I am on a Galaxy SII phone for Pete’s sake! Try indenting code on this thing.
    You were wrong about that, but even if you were right, it wouldn't embarrass me. I'm not stalking you. Until this thread, I had no idea who you were.

Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.
    Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by
    definition, not smart enough to debug it.
    - Brian W. Kernighan

To enhance your chance's of getting an answer be sure to read
    http://www.codeguru.com/forum/announ...nouncementid=6
    and http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366302 before posting

Refresh your memory on formatting tags here
    http://www.codeguru.com/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode

Get your free MS compiler here
    https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs

Quote Originally Posted by GCDEF View Post
    You were wrong about that, but even if you were right, it wouldn't embarrass me. I'm not stalking you. Until this thread, I had no idea who you were.
    you read my profile! ;-) so there was some interest!

you read my profile! ;-) so there was some interest!
    Trying to find the thread you're talking about. If I said something wrong, I'd want to know about it, but in this case I don't believe I did.

Trying to find the thread you're talking about. If I said something wrong, I'd want to know about it, but in this case I don't believe I did.

;-) course you were.... However, you are “trying to find the thread” so you have no idea of what I am talking about, but write: “you were wrong about that”…. Well, that sounds like a very good piece of (logic) code!

Well either you are policing threads here or this was aimed at me…. So I am just guessing at what contact we have had so far, which was your suggestion to “switch case” on a char rather than an int! I suggested this would bring overhead!

But I take it back and say sorry, I guess I was wrong and it’s not personal; you are simply a self-appointed homework detective!

But I will help who I want here unless the Forum admin tells me I am doing something wrong! And you can post with your holier-than-thou homework detective work as long as you want! But I am here to give and receive help, and have met some really nice people here.

And no-one is “no one”… without the hyphen! Just like no two people! So I am guessing you are British!

Have a nice day making friends,

Rigsby

Stummschaltung! Dachte ich mir!

Did you read what I posted Rigsby? It's not that no help is offered for homework issues. We're just trying to avoid posting a full solution since that doesn't really help a beginner. If this was a math board you wouldn't post a full solution would you?
    Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.
    Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by
    definition, not smart enough to debug it.
    - Brian W. Kernighan

To enhance your chance's of getting an answer be sure to read
    http://www.codeguru.com/forum/announ...nouncementid=6
    and http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366302 before posting

Refresh your memory on formatting tags here
    http://www.codeguru.com/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode

Get your free MS compiler here
    https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs

Stummschaltung! Dachte ich mir!
    Just don't see the point in talking to you any more. That's not what this forum is about. I'm not really sure why you would choose not to abide by its policies, but thankfully you don't post much. With a little luck, you'll go dormant again.

Of course I read what you posted! Anything else would be ignorant.

I did not post a solution! I posted a trap that any IT teacher would immediately recognize as “from the web” so thus gave the person either a solution to a problem (if not homework) or reason to think about how to solve it themselves if homework when the teacher challenges them on it.

People, the natural solution to the problem was NOT a vector; why is that so difficult for you to understand?

Just don't see the point in talking to you any more. That's not what this forum is about. I'm not really sure why you would choose not to abide by its policies, but thankfully you don't post much. With a little luck, you'll go dormant again.
    GCDEF you are so hurtful and personal! I guess you were just made that way! I do not hope that you go away…. If you thought the “point” in talking to me was to somehow “win” than you are right… just leave it; however, should you actually be interested in an exchange of intellectual perspectives on this or any other subject, then I always welcome the opportunity of discussion!

You know the forum rules can also be discussed, tested, and perhaps changed! They are not the 10 commandments!

GCDEF you are so hurtful and personal! I guess you were just made that way! I do not hope that you go away…. If you thought the “point” in talking to me was to somehow “win” than you are right… just leave it; however, should you actually be interested in an exchange of intellectual perspectives on this or any other subject, then I always welcome the opportunity of discussion!
    Then I suggest you go the the discussion forum where it would be on topic. However, I'm not really interested in exchanging "intellectual perspectives" with you here or anywhere else. If you don't like the forum rules, I suggest you take them up with the moderator.

Does it harm you?
    It may harm the original poster.

Many teachers search the Internet for plagiarism. If they see that their question was asked here, and then you give the student the answer or close to the answer, that student could get in a lot of trouble, possibly fail, and in some cases suspended or expelled.

If the poster never asked for you to give code, then don't do it -- even if they demand an answer, don't give them one (except for belligerent posters, where there is a house trick that I've done a few times).

It may not hurt you, and it may not hurt GCDEF or any of us, but it sure could hurt that unfortunate student who never asked you to post lengthy answers for him/her, and then they get in trouble at school. There have been posters pleading that certain "helpers" remove the answers from this board because of the fear of being found out and accused of plagiarism.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie
    Last edited by Paul McKenzie; March 26th, 2012 at 03:57 PM.

Then I suggest you go the the discussion forum where it would be on topic. However, I'm not really interested in exchanging "intellectual perspectives" with you here or anywhere else. If you don't like the forum rules, I suggest you take them up with the moderator.
    Well, there you go again with your suggestions and advice…. I would like to remind you that no one (without a hyphen) asked you to comment here! I seem to remember that I was in the process of helping with (not doing) some kid’s homework, when Mr. Homework-detective (that’s a compound so we use a hyphen) butted in and got all aggressive… and used offensive words (pi***ng)….

So if you are not “really interested” in exchanging with me, get the hell out of my discussion with this poster…. You butted in, not I… I will then help here as I see fit…. If you don’t like it, then you will have to converse with me you arrogant, aggressive, angry, not very articulate, person – or stay out of it! You do not make the rules in my discussion….

And I just said all of that without a single swear word!

Like I said, go make some friends….

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast