CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Threaded View

John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Subsystem:Windows

When I'm building a Windows GUI app I usually set the exe's linker option /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS. If it's a console app I set /SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE. So far, so good. BUT...

When I build a DLL (i.e. code only - no GUI) I usually just make sure it isn't set to SUBSYTEM:CONSOLE. Sometimes it can be /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS. Other times it can be Not set. I've never found it makes any difference - until today....

I've spent the whole morning chasing a weird problem where _close() was occasionally failing in Debug mode. The line that failed is in red:-

Code:
    int __cdecl _close (
            int fh
            )
    {
            int r;                          /* return value */

/* validate file handle */
            _CHECK_FH_CLEAR_OSSERR_RETURN( fh, EBADF, -1 );
            _VALIDATE_CLEAR_OSSERR_RETURN((fh >= 0 && (unsigned)fh < (unsigned)_nhandle), EBADF, -1);
            _VALIDATE_CLEAR_OSSERR_RETURN((_osfile(fh) & FOPEN), EBADF, -1);

_lock_fh(fh);                   /* lock file */

__try {
                    if ( _osfile(fh) & FOPEN )
                            r = _close_nolock(fh);
                    else {
                            errno = EBADF;
                            r = -1;
                            _ASSERTE(("Invalid file descriptor. File possibly closed by a different thread",0));
                    }
            }
            __finally {
                    _unlock_fh(fh);         /* unlock the file */
            }

return r;
    }
    Basically, the file to be closed was deemed be not open (FOPEN flag not set). I could literally open a file and close it straight away and it would fail. I could step through _open() and validate that the flag was getting correctly set - but by the time I got to _close() it was corrupted.

Eventually I found that one of my VC solutions had about 10 projects which all built DLLs. All were set to /SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE except for one, which was set to Not set. Setting it the same as all the others seems to have fixed the problem

I loathe bugs like this because I don't understand them. Does this make sense to anyone here?
    Last edited by John E; March 28th, 2012 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Incorrect option, pointed out by Vladimir (see below)
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering