CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

need help with my project

Hi, everyone im new to this forum and i have a project , what i need is how to make a desktop like windows with a start menu, and how do i make the icons move and be able to move them, i know you have to us a listbox but i just dont know how to us it to make a desktop i gess what im asking for is how to make a fake operating system, should i us visual basic 6.0 know how to us visual basic 6.0 just starting it so im a newbe, i know the basics, and i when to planet sourc code and foun a some but know of them have what im looking for, this just a project i need .please help me just to get started thanks all four your help

Re: need help with my project

Have 200,000 MAN-HOURS of time? Start with HOW the machine works, then see if there is a language to program it, and then, an Operating System. Look up DOS 1.1
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Iv been yousing vb6.0 for some time i just want to progress in my vb6.0 im sorry if i put i just tarted out what i met was that im just starting out on a harder stuff then the usual stuff i do.

In most cases, the OS won't let you interact with it. You can program everything to happen WITHIN your app, but, it would be limited to features that you know how to program.

Here's a sample program, and article...
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Wow, David, your Evil-Controls-Article seems to be the help and cure for almost anything.

Let me say this:
    To prgram an application which has a desktop-like interface you might get along with a ListView in icon-mode. Although the result would me more like the Control Panel in standard view. You would not be able to freely move the icons around on the surface like you can on the desktop.

If you want freely movable icons you'd have to prgram a system with movable icons within a picturebox or similar. Stuff like this is not trivial and surely no beginners material.
    If you want to start with that, just learn about drag and drop mechanism. You can then learn how you can move smaller pictures within a large PictureBox control and program some functions into the double click event, so as to simulate operations done when double clicking the icon.