CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Exclamation Compiler error in VB6 in Win 7

Please Assist!

Here is my situation:

I have VB6 running on a windows 7 machine. The program works as intended, however when i go to File > Make [program name] .exe file, the option appears to run correctly, i save the file, then when I attempt to run the program on a server, the associated services do not start.

I have my coworkers create the .exe file and it compiles correctly. None of them are running windows 7.

There is no error message that pops up, I was trying to find some event log that would indicate an issue, and i could not find that either (however I could be missing it, so if anyone can tell me exactly where the log messages regarding the compile are, I'd appreciate it!).

for VB6, i have SP6 installed. I was reading some other posts, and they referenced issues with VB6 and Windows 7 with SP1, which is also installed on my work machine.

If anyone could help me with this, it'd make me really happy. I just got a big promotion to this gig, and if i cant figure this out, its gonna make me look bad.

I THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE!

Re: Compiler error in VB6 in Win 7

Type VISUAL in the SEARCH BAR, Right-Click on it, and then RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR. That's required in Win7 for most IDE's
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Hi,

I'm using VB6 under win7 64 without any issues (yet).
    If you have Win7 Pro or greater you could use the virtual xp to host your vb6 install to get you out
    of your jam. If you don't have win7 pro or greater, get Win7 pro or greater.

Then you can run xp too and work around your issue.

Just my .02

:Ron

Create a file, and see how that goes. Without ADMIN privileges. Or, rather, TRY...
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Exclamation Re: Compiler error in VB6 in Win 7

Thanks gentlemen.

My company def didn't spring for win pro, nor will they. I also saw that virtual xp, but as mentioned, no pro... thx tho...

As far as the run as admin, i'll check it on Monday.

I thank you both very much for your assistance. Update on Monday.

Ves

Exclamation Re: Compiler error in VB6 in Win 7

hey guys,

Running as admin didn't work. Also, i cannot run a virtual XP session because we have win 7 enterprise, not pro.

I remoted in to a pc that had XP, and it worked then, but i want to be able to do it from my pc.

Any more thoughts? is it even possible with win7/SP1?

Thanks again for your assistance!

Dave

Is there some add-in that will allow me to do this?

Bitman, do you compile your programs (make the .exe)? Not in Virtual XP mode? Do they start services? i find it hard to believe that i tried it on 3 win7 machines and none would work, but you say you have had no problems? I think were doing different things...

Enterprise is the same as Ultimate as far as features go. You can either BOOT from a VHD (Virtual Disk) or use this
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

thanks dglienna

Is that add-in compatible with win7? i seem to be having a lot of those types of issues with win7. Thank you bill gates! ;-)

And the worst part is that the whole company is (forcefully) migrating to win7, so everyone is going to be having this problem. i'd be the man if i bring in a solution...

i will give it a try tomorrow. thanks for your help!

Dave

hey bud,

That did work. I was able to make a virtual xp and compile it. Thanks for your help.

The only problem was that the virtual window is tiny as s***, and if i go full screen, it isn't really compatible with my 2nd monitor. I'm sure i could play around with it, but didn't have time today.

There isn't any way to make the win7 vb6 compile correctly without a virtual machine? That is really a load of crap... I understand that Microsoft wants us all to use .net (and for god sakes, its been around long enough) but this is really going to create a butt load of work for me... i would prefer not to have to migrate EVERYTHING over...

And, quite frankly, they shouldn't still be writing stuff in vb6. I am going to bring that up at a meeting im in tomorrow...

THANKS AGAIN! I DO APPRECIATE IT!

Dave

Well, VB6 lost appeal before Vista came out. Remember VS200x - VS2008? VB6 was way before them all.

While some of the early versions of .Net where still being worked out, it is now a powerful tool.

PS. Want your app to still work in Win8? It's not a TILE, and VB6 can't create a LIVE-TILE.

Download VS2011 and Win8 and spend some time with it. You'll be able to blow away any VB6 app you used to use.
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP