CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Is this possible?

First of all, I have a very limited knowledge of coding, and I thank you for any help in advance.

Practical use would allow me to enter an order, part numbers and qty's, with or w/o an internet connection, through the program, and then send an email to the location automatically so they could fill the order and have it ready for pickup or shipping.

My job is mobile and sometimes in remote areas, so internet connections are quite often unreliable.

Question is, is it possible to make a program that would access online inventories of say Fastenal or Grainger, or even Walmart when I am online and store that info for offline use?

Is it possible?

Re: Is this possible?

I think not, or at least it would be a rather ambitioned project.
    Online databases like stock lists are usually only accessible through the webpages they are linked to, except if a provider explicitly provides an apropriate access method.
    Also these databases tend to be rather huge and if stored offline, the quantities and prices wouldn't be up to date, I guess.

I would not be concerned about stock levels or prices, Mainly just part numbers. And I would not need the whole stock database off of the website, we usually purchase the same things over and over, about 100 to 150 items. I had been hoping I could go to a product page, click a button and pull info off the site such as part # and part name, and save it into a database for future offline use.

I could compile create an inventory list in excel, but it would take awhile.

All I would need the program to do is have options to select a drop down list or search for store name (fastenal or grainger) , part name, store location (atlanta or Omaha) to order from so an email can be sent to them, and an address where they can ship packages to if needed.

Can programs made in VB pull data off of closed workbooks? is it simple?

If you want Mobile/Desktop/Web, then I'd dump VB6 and move to something current.
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Quote Originally Posted by dglienna View Post
    If you want Mobile/Desktop/Web, then I'd dump VB6 and move to something current.
    Any suggestions? do you mean VB10? I don't have anything yet, thats why I'm asking questions. I want to make sure I get the right thing. Mobile application would be a nice extra, I'm sure there are times I could use it, but typically would not be used often.

You can download VS2010 Express (and VS2011 on Win8) for FREE

If you want Win8, then the latter.
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!