CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Hello everyone,

Hello everyone,

My name is Corey, I'm 22 years old, and I'm new to these forums. I'm also new to coding. I've been doing very simple HTML and CSS for a while, editing my Myspace skins, Tumblr, etc.

I am currently just starting my associates' degree in Web Programming, but I haven't started any courses yet that actually involve programming, nor will I in the near future.

I want to take an active approach. I love messing around with HTML and CSS. I want to make my own website, including Javascript and whatever else. I don't want any handouts or anything, but I would really appreciate some opinions from experienced coders:

I want to eventually work for a major online based company such as Facebook, Amazon, Yahoo!, Tumblr, Twitter, etc.

I want to start coding my own website for now, and I want to be able to implement cooler and more advanced concepts as I go along. With that, here are some questions that I have..

What languages should I start with?

What languages should I learn after that?

There is a lot of information to understand and know how to use per language.. what is the best way to go about learning a language? Or, what are some different methods I can try?

What are some good books I can buy?

What are some good free sources? (I currently use w3.org, but it's a bit too encyclopedia-like, it's difficult to absorb the information)

Your responses are welcome and appreciated, and please also feel free to let me know if there is anything else you would recommend or any thoughts you have that aren't related to my questions.

Re: Hello everyone,

I'll address just coding in this reply, but do remember that truly great websites have excellent design. Too many people get into the game and focus on just the coding. That will be detrimental to your growth.

As for the best way to learn, books are great just as websites are. Keep in mind that anything you find in a book on web development language...you can find online. Also, since there is a constant change in progress, books will go out quickly. But, don't let that stop you from purchasing! Anything you read in a book that covers current valid markup languages (HTML 4.01, XHTML 1.1, CSS 2.1, etc.) will be useful and a great foundation to coding.

Major books

Other resources

Notice that I did not cover X/HTML5 nor CSS3 in book recommendations. While they too could provide good coding foundation, both are still under revision and have not yet reached 100% cross-browser support. Stick to reputable sources for your information and tutorials on this. W3 is great in this. But, as you've already encountered, it is going to be geared to programming lingo and not human-ese.

Great sites on upcoming standards

Now...that just scratches the surface of the beginning points to learning. However, if your ultimate goal is to work for any web company, you're also going to have to become proficient in already developed frameworks. Here are just a few of the widely used ones.

And that's just the beginning!
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.

Thanks so much PeejAvery, your response was more helpful than any post I imagined a person would reasonably spend any effort doing. :P I now have a lot to look into, and a lot to keep written down to look at down the road.

If anybody else still has suggestions, I can never have too many resources to choose from.

Sorry for the double post, but I also have been wondering about something for a very long time. I am far from artistic, although I feel I have a good sense for when things are attractive. Do I need to be well versed in Photoshop and be artistic to do well in this field? I'm not either of those, and I'm afraid I never will be.

Or Illustrator. There are many other less professional image editing softwares...but they have setbacks.

I started as a computer programmer who never knew a thing about design. Then I became close friends with a graphic designer who was intrigued by programming. Eventually, we evened out each others skills.

Make friends with designers. Study design. Always remember that simple and clean can never be wrong. Study professional templates and sites. There are millions out there. If you like, I can post some links of portfolio show off sites to research.

That would be excellent, thanks.