CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Hybrid View

[RESOLVED] C# Random Methods

I've been trying to write a C# program that generates random sentences. I've succeeded but I have one problem. For example, the random methods seem to only generate the same 1 random number even though I have 3. Thus, only about 9 sentences can actually be generated. After doing some testing, it appears that some sentences tend to be unique because the random methods generate numbers from a range of (1, 8) up to (1, 10).

How do I make it so the random integers are private, rather than displayed/calculated as 1 integer?

Code:
    using System;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.Linq;
    using System.Text;

namespace ConsoleApplication1
    {
        class Program
        {
            static void Main(string[] args)
            {
                /* The program will close if the letter "Q" is entered at the first 'Console.ReadLine'.
                 * The loops are messy but I will fix that after I get the random number methods working.
                 */
                string x;
                Console.WriteLine("Press any key to start:");
                x = Console.ReadLine();

do
                {
                    //These 3 random methods only generate 1 number.
                    int n;
                    Random rand1 = new Random();
                    n = rand1.Next(0, 8);
                    string[] names = { "Bo ", "Rad ", "Jimbo ", "Bill ", "Waldo ", "Vladislav ", "Tommy ", "Moses " };

int v;
                    Random rand2 = new Random();
                    v = rand2.Next(0, 9);
                    string[] verbs = { "killed ", "ate ", "touched ", "saw ", "talked to ", "brazed ", "threw a stone at ", "challenged ", "tickled " };

int o;
                    Random rand3 = new Random();
                    o = rand3.Next(0, 10);
                    string[] objects = { "a box ", "a wall ", "a stone ", "a machine ", "a pill ", "a fruit", "a zombie ", "a cat ", "a cornflake ", "a mugger " };

string r;
                    /*The n/o/v integers should be different but they are all the same. 'String[] names' has 9
                     * words so only about 9 types of sentences are generated, rather than the potential 720 sentences.
                    */
                    Console.WriteLine(names[n] + verbs[v] + objects[o]);
                    r = Console.ReadLine();
                }
                while (x != "Q");
            }
        }
    }
    The code acts very unpredictable so I believe it is best for anyone who wishes to figure out the problem compile and run it to observe how it works. I am using Visual C# Express 2010.

Re: C# Random Methods

I think what's happening is that each call to new Random() initializes a pseudo-random number generator seeded based on the time the call occurred. Since these all happen almost simultaneously, they all get initialized with the same value and thus produce a coordinated answer.

Usually, I declare one random number generator at the start (or even for the whole class) and call it. That is do:

Code:
    using System;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.Linq;
    using System.Text;

namespace ConsoleApplication1
    {
        class Program
        {
            static void Main(string[] args)
            {
                /* The program will close if the letter "Q" is entered at the first 'Console.ReadLine'.
                 * The loops are messy but I will fix that after I get the random number methods working.
                 */
                string x;
                Console.WriteLine("Press any key to start:");
                x = Console.ReadLine();

Random rng = new Random(); //Declare once

do
                {
                    //These 3 random methods only generate 1 number.
                    int n;
                    n = rng.Next(0, 8);
                    string[] names = { "Bo ", "Rad ", "Jimbo ", "Bill ", "Waldo ", "Vladislav ", "Tommy ", "Moses " };

int v;
                    v = rng.Next(0, 9);
                    string[] verbs = { "killed ", "ate ", "touched ", "saw ", "talked to ", "brazed ", "threw a stone at ", "challenged ", "tickled " };

int o;
                    o = rng.Next(0, 10);
                    string[] objects = { "a box ", "a wall ", "a stone ", "a machine ", "a pill ", "a fruit", "a zombie ", "a cat ", "a cornflake ", "a mugger " };

string r;
                    /*The n/o/v integers should be different but they are all the same. 'String[] names' has 9
                     * words so only about 9 types of sentences are generated, rather than the potential 720 sentences.
                    */
                    Console.WriteLine(names[n] + verbs[v] + objects[o]);
                    r = Console.ReadLine();
                }
                while (x != "Q");
            }
        }
    }
    Best Regards,

BioPhysEngr
    http://blog.biophysengr.net
    --
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on.

Thanks. Is there any way I can delay the call for a certain amount of milliseconds to get better randomness? The change would be unnecessary but I am curious to know how it could be done.

Thread.Sleep ought to work. See: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/d00bd51t.aspx

You can also pass your own seed to the Random class like: new Random(seed).

If you need cryptographic-strength randomness (you don't for this application), you can also use the RNGCryptoServiceProvider class; see http://japikse.blogspot.com/2008/10/...bers-in-c.html
    Best Regards,

BioPhysEngr
    http://blog.biophysengr.net
    --
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on.

Ok, thanks.