CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question Allowing my method to "see" that a row has already been selected from my gridview.

Hello,

My program has a gridview. It allows someone to select one of the rows.
    I store the selected row info using the following:

GridViewRow row = GridView1.SelectedRow;

Later on in the code, I was to call a method I wrote that needs to use "row" (i.e. the data stored in that row in the gridview).

An exception is thrown saying that "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." I believe the method thinks that nothing has been selected....but it has been selected before this part of the code is called.

How can I make my method "see" that the row has been selected and therefore go ahead and use "row" (the instance of GridViewRow that was instantiated earlier)

Thank you,

Re: Allowing my method to "see" that a row has already been selected from my gridview

I don't really think you're giving us enough information. Why don't you post the code where you're getting the selected row, and post the code where you're using it. That might help us a bit.

Also, please remember to use CODE tags when posting code.

Re: Allowing my method to "see" that a row has already been selected from my gridview

I would do it something like this
    Code:
    public string info;

public void myMethod(string myInfo)
    {
              //do whatever you need to do with the information
    }

private void GetInformation()
    {
           info = DataGrid.CurrentRow.Cells[whatever cell you need].Value.ToString();
           myMethod(info);
    }
    Last edited by forgottenhart; May 8th, 2012 at 10:32 PM. Reason: forgot to close the code tag