CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Reading in from a dialog box

Hello,

I am just writing a silly little application to add two numbers together, but I am not sure how to read in from the edit control boxes.

I have been trying to do it this was

Code:
    int var1, var2;
    var1 = IDC_EDIT1->Text;
    var2 = IDC_EDIT2->Text;
    MessageBox::Show((var1+var2).ToString());
    But I am getting errors. Hopefully someone can help me out. Or point me to where on the MS site I can get some help.

Thanks.

Seán

Re: Reading in from a dialog box

You need to explicitly convert the strings to type int before assigning them to the int variables. A common tool to use for that is the int::Parse() method.

EDIT: Errr, wait... IDC_EDIT1 looks like a control ID like they are used in native C++ with MFC or Win API. Do you actually use .NET types here, i.e. are the text boxes of type System::Windows::Forms::TextBox? Otherwise they most likely wouldn't have a Text property anyway...
    Last edited by Eri523; May 3rd, 2012 at 04:16 PM.
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I have tried a different approach, but got a new issue. Hopefully someone can help.

Here is the code

Code:
    {
    	CString myEdit1;
    	char a;
    	int i;
    	const int KEY = 23;	
    	this -> GetDlgItemText(IDC_EDIT1, myEdit1);
    	int length = myEdit1.GetLength();
    	char *p = myEdit1.GetBuffer();

for (i = 0; i < length; i++)
    	{
    		*(p + i) = (*(p + i) ^ KEY);
    	}
    	a = (char)*(p+1);

SetDlgItemText(IDC_EDIT2, a);
    }
    And I am getting an error "error C2664: 'CWnd::SetDlgItemTextA' : cannot convert parameter 2 from 'char' to 'LPCTSTR' ...Conversion from integral type to pointer type requires reinterpret_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast"

I am not sure how to sort this out. Hopefully someone can help.

Thanks in advance.

Seán

Quote Originally Posted by o.fithcheallaigh View Post
    I have tried a different approach [...].
    Obviously. Now that defininitely is native C++ with MFC, so there's no such thing as a Text property or MessageBox::Show() or int::ToString() methods. Questions about that should better be asked in the Visual C++ section.

And I am getting an error "error C2664: 'CWnd::SetDlgItemTextA' : cannot convert parameter 2 from 'char' to 'LPCTSTR' ...Conversion from integral type to pointer type requires reinterpret_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast"
    The error message is rather obvious, I'd say: The method expects an LPCTSTR, which is a synonym for either char * or wchar_t *, depending on whether it's an MBCS or Unicode build. A char isn't implicitly convertible into that (and it's definitely better that it is that way - comment by me, not the error message ).

This could serve as a quick and dirty fix:

Code:
    	char a[2] = {0};

// ...

a[0] = (char)*(p+1);

I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

Now that defininitely is native C++ with MFC, so there's no such thing as a Text property or MessageBox::Show() or int::ToString() methods. Questions about that should better be asked in the Visual C++ section.
    I did start off asking my questions there, but I was told to come here.

The error message is rather obvious
    I am afraid it wasn't to me ...and that is why I have come here to try and get help, and learn.

I'd say: The method expects an LPCTSTR, which is a synonym for either char * or wchar_t *, depending on whether it's an MBCS or Unicode build. A char isn't implicitly convertible into that (and it's definitely better that it is that way - comment by me, not the error message ).

This could serve as a quick and dirty fix:

Code:
    	char a[2] = {0};

// ...

a[0] = (char)*(p+1);

Thanks a lot, I will give that a go.

That did the trick!

Again, thanks!

Seán