CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Lightbulb VB Application over internet

Dear all,
    I develop a micro controller based circuit which read temperature data after receive a command through serial port and a VB6 application log the read data in a database. The application works fine.
    But now I want to access the application over internet(from mobile or tablet PC) and monitor the data. What should I do for that...????????

Re: VB Application over internet

This could be a job for Active Server Pages (ASP).

I'm not sure that ASP would work here. ASP will let you access data over the net but it must be running on a web server that is accessable on the internet. The hardware would also need to be connected to this web server.

So the question here, Is the micro controller attached to a PC that is running as a web server and is it reachable from outside the network over the internet?

Also note that ASP is outdated and may not work on some webservers. ASP.Net would be a better choice.
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.

I can make my PC to a web-server.. and also connect the circuit to it.. This is not any problem...
    But my query is, is there any option to integrate my application to the webpage or I have to write new code for it.....
    And plz give some brief on ASP.NET concept.....
    Thanx.....

No if your app is a windows forms based app then you would have to at the very least recode it to use web pages for any display or create a server program to run on the pc and a client for the mobile device that will talk to your server program.

There is something called SAAS [software as a service] which claims to be able to do this, I was looking into one called application jukebox but I do not know if it could do what you need or not. May be worth looking into.
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.

Thats mean required some more googling....
    Back soon with the results....

Not such interesting......
    What your opinion about VB2008 WPF application....
    I think that is more easier to make a fresh application at WPF platform and publish that xml file using windows integrated IIS services...!!!!!??

You could re-write the whole **** thing in VB.Net and run some fancy web services, etc etc

You could do so many things if you want to re-engineer the application

But I am guessing that you just may not want to do that

Being a practical person (rather than a great programmer) I would do something really really simple. (I'm guessing you also don't want to spend a few months learning about ASP.Net or .Net)

You say you want to monitor the results (ie, view whats going on)

If this is really all you want to do, then the simple answer is to put the results into an HTML Page and copy the page to a website (using FTP under VB6 control), from where you can simply log on to the website and view the page

The page may be a progressive Date - Time - Results which gets updated automatically every ???? minutes

An HTML Page is simply a text file after all - just design what it looks like and insert the results into the text file at the appropriate location in the text file, then copy it to a known file name in a known web site - then anyone can see it from anywhere in the world

Use ncftp to upload the file using ftp (easy as)

Just my simple approach which can get the whole thing running in about 5 to 6 hours

On the other hand, get yourself a few asprins and go to .net school for about 5 - 6 months