CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Example for a desktop app developed with HTML5

Does anyone know an example of a desktop application/program that was developed with html5”?

If so, can you refer me to it?

Thanks!

Re: Example for a desktop app developed with HTML5

I already answered your question...

Quote Originally Posted by amit98765 View Post
    Maybe to summarize some of my questions - is there a way to create a desktop application using html5? If so, what does it mean for the users, meaning how easy they can download, install and use this application?
    Not at all. HTML is simply a web language. It is meant for displaying information for the user. Actual APIs and tie-ins to OS core features need to be through an interpreted language...not a markup language.

You need to get past your HTML5 mentality.
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.

I posted again just because someone told me that he saw an example of an html5 application that was downloaded, and another guy told me that if the html5 is connected to a backend (backend which is developed in java or c# for example), it is possible to do it.

I appologize for re-posting again. I am not familiar with web applications and with html5 in particular, and I am getting mixed information about this topic.

Thanks again for your help and response.

I think you're misunderstanding the term "backend". It's not meaning that HTML is directly communicating with other programming languages...it's talking about the difference between client-side and server-side communication.

Client-side languages (HTML, JavaScript) can send information to a web server. The web server then uses a server-side language (PHP, ASP.NET, JSP, PERL, Python, etc.) to interpret the information passed. It then sends that information back to the client (web browser) in the form of HTML/CSS/JavaScript output.
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.

thanks for the clarification. I think that I understand.

the company I am working for is developing a program which has a Flex side which handles the interface and it is connected to an engine that is developed in c#.
    this program runs on the web, and using adobe air, it runs also as a desktop application.

the reason for all my questions is that I am trying to figure out if we can change the flex part to html5 in order to give us a way to be also on IOS devices without developing a native app for them.

anyway, I do understand from your response that the answer is no.

thanks again.
    Last edited by amit98765; May 31st, 2012 at 06:53 PM.

Not a desktop app but an interesting article on mobile app development with HTML5.
    http://venturebeat.com/2011/08/16/linkedin-node/
    And this one http://maxogden.com/

thanks for the info.