CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Windiff

Windiff

Hello Everybody,
    I have a query about the Windiff tool available with the Visual Studio. When I try to compare directories using the tool, it displays the difference listing of the files but when I try to expand for a particular file I get two error messages one followed by the other as "Error Opening File" and "Bug:List_Card of Bogus List. Continuing...". Can anybody tell me what is the problem ? I have conformed that while using the tool the files are not used by any other program.
    regards,
    nitin.

Rate it if it satisfies u, because that will encourage me to give more answers.
    enjoy
    Nitin S. Jadhav

Re: Windiff

Are you able to access that file otherwise, for example open it with notepad from explorer?
    You might also try to do a file check first (Scandisk or else)

"Putting a comment into your source code does not necessariliy mean that your source is commented"

Hi,

yes I know this problem too. These files are mostly binary files. I think that's a bug in WinDiff, because they could be opened with UltraEdit or so.

Bye Marco

Thumbs up Re: Windiff

I encountered this problem too.

I was trying to compare two directories, one of which had a pound sign in the path. When I renamed that directory by replacing the pound sign with another character, the error no longer occurred and Windiff was able to compare the directories as requested.

Did the names of the directories you folks were trying to compare also contain pound signs, by any chance? Just curious.

Windiff is a very, very, very old tool and probably cannot deal with UNICODE file names. That's it.
    Ovidiu
    "When in Rome, do as Romans do."
    My latest articles: https://codexpertro.wordpress.com/