CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

What's the easiest way to do a craps game graphics?

I'm in the design stages of a craps game using MS Visual C++. Originally I planned to use text on the console with text based commands, but decided that would require too much typing. Then I thought I would use mouse clicks on the console screen to enter bets at the appropriate locations. But if I'm going to use mouse clicks on the screen, I now decided that I might as well bite the bullet and do the craps game using graphics.

With a craps game in mind, which graphics system would you recommend as being the easiest to learn?
    What I want to do is:

- Draw 1/2 of a crap table using photoshop and save it in a jpg file.
    - Display the crap table on the screen.
    - Click on places on the table to place bets and display chips for the bets.
    - Remove chips when bets are lost.
    - Have the size of the craps table fit different screen resolutions and be able to have the mouse clicks on the craps table adapt to the size being used.

Very simple 2D graphics. No animation required.
    I want the game to be able to run on any Windows PC, without the need for the net framework or any other supporting software to be installed.

Should I use GDI+, SDL or something else?

(Yes, I know there is a WinCraps game available but I want to program a craps game myself to learn C++ and have the game work exactly how I want it to. I also want to be able to share it with family and friends so it needs to be able to run on "any" PC.)

Thanks,
    Raptor

Re: What's the easiest way to do a craps game graphics?

When you finish this book you will be able to do it :

http://www.stroustrup.com/Programming/

You can buy it used on amazon for 28 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

Quote Originally Posted by sternone View Post
    When you finish this book you will be able to do it :

http://www.stroustrup.com/Programming/

You can buy it used on amazon for 28 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used
    Sternone,

Thanks for your reply. I borrowed a Bjarne Stroustrup book from the library before and it was hard for me to learn from it. Advance C++ programers would probably find it easy but other C++ books are much easier for me.

I basically want experienced C++ programmer's opinions on which graphics system they think will be the "easiest" to learn and use for simple 2D graphics with no animation. Just point and click and chips appear type graphics will work for my craps game.

Thanks,
    Raptor

This book is specially made for people without any programming experience.

While I still think you might have a little experience with programming before reading this book, it's probably his only book that is written for non-experienced programmers.

But more important for you, after a few chapters it starts showing you how to program simple 2d graphics for your game.
    Last edited by sternone; June 3rd, 2012 at 01:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sternone View Post
    But more important for you, after a few chapters it starts showing you how to program simple 2d graphics for your game.
    Ahhh, the light bulb just went on. I will follow up on your suggestion.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
    Raptor