CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast

Re: New Forum Update

Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    While testing this just now, the whole forum seemed to crash. For about 2 minutes I couldn't access it - even if I tried to select 'Forums' from the home page at codeguru.com.
    Had simular problem ... Site was not responding... for about 10 min total...
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by GremlinSA View Post
    Can you provide the Link that causes this problem .. There was an Issue with the Code blocks that went as wide as the longest line, however that has been sorted (Added scrollers to the Code block)..
    Yes, it was the standard link in my notification email - i.e.

http://forums.codeguru.com/showthrea...1&goto=newpost

At the time, post #132 was the newest post.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

Actually, I've just started to notice a distinct lag between clicking on the email link and the page showing. Probably about 30 seconds.
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong."
    Richard P. Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    Yes, it was the standard link in my notification email
    Okay Thats a link to this thread... and there arn't any Code blocks but only Quote blocks in this thread.

Also you say it only happens when you use the Link from an email ?.. What Mailer you using and is your Browser already open? Can you try get the specific conditions this occurs so that we can place a proper Bug report on it...
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls

Some additional information about the forum software creating too big container boxes for non-inlined attached images, perhaps it's helpful:

When I copied (via the image's context menu) one of the screen shots from http://forums.codeguru.com/showthrea...ebugging.....! and pasted it into Paint.NET for closer analysis, I got an image with dimensions 1310 x 737. The image I get in my browser display is 800 x 450 (as specified in the properties of the image displayed by the browser, matching my visual estimate). Looks like the forum software downscaled the images to neatly fit the screen (1280 x 1024) but created a container box with a width accomodating to the unscaled original image size, which of course is much too wide.

For illustration I attached a screen shot of what I see here, in case that may behave differently depending on the browser. I have pre-downscaled this one to 50% at my end.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Eri523; July 10th, 2012 at 10:45 AM.
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

We'll need to take a look at the image uploading to see if we can replicate the issue.

on a different note:

I've been told that there are some background processes running that are taking some time. These are set up processes like rebuilding the forum search index. Because of the size of this forum, I've been told these are likely to run for a few more days. When they complete, I've been told response times should improve.

Quote Originally Posted by GremlinSA View Post
    [...] There was an Issue with the Code blocks that went as wide as the longest line, however that has been sorted (Added scrollers to the Code block)..
    I'd really love it that way, but unfortunately that's not what I get. In my IE8, code blocks seem to get an (enabled) horizontal scroll bar only if the longest code line is just a tiny bit (three or four characters at most, AFAICT) longer than the standard code block width. If they're longer than that, the lines get wrapped (see attached sceen shot, taken from http://forums.codeguru.com/showthrea...ip-to-hostname).

I already mentioned in an earlier post that I'd definitely would prefer scrolling over line wrapping but then I had no idea that other users may actually already get the scrolling capability I was missing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Eri523 View Post
    Some additional information about the forum software creating too big container boxes for non-inlined attached images, perhaps it's helpful:

screen shots from http://forums.codeguru.com/showthrea...ebugging.....!

For illustration I attached a screen shot of what I see here, in case that may behave differently depending on the browser. I have pre-downscaled this one to 50% at my end.
    In IE 8, i get the same as your Screen shot, with out any special circumstances ...

Copy the link, Paste in IE 8 Address bar and enter...

John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

When posting a new thread there are two buttons:- Submit New Thread and Preview Post. Slightly underneath them is a section called Additional Options which also has the same two buttons. Within that section however, I couldn't make the Preview button work this morning (although the other preview button worked). It's possible that the 2nd Submit button didn't work either although I didn't try it.

When simply replying to a thread (as opposed to starting a new thread) all the buttons appear to work.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

It's bogged down on me again several times today. I'm running Firefox with Do Not Track and AdBlock extensions. I've tried disabling them on this site and it doesn't seem to make any difference. Sometimes when Firefox stops responding Chrome will work or at least get a bit further, but sometimes Chrome stops working too. When it's not responding, it just says Transferring data from Codeguru.com in the status bar.

Since the last update the response time of this site has been consistently bad. Not to the extreme of your experience, though a couple of times I closed the browser fed up with waiting for the page to show after several minutes.

I use IE 8 when in my office and the latest version of FF at home. In my office we have very fast internet connections, but there is little difference when I access it from home. It's quite annoying, on top of the bugs and other unrequested changes introduced with the update.

This used to be my preferred site, I used to check it constantly, all day, every day, whenever possible while in the office and then from home for a few more hours, but now I only visit it every now and then and am considering not coming back again. This is not only due to the negative impact of the update, I also found the posts in my favourite forums have declined a lot in quality (most of the time it's lazy bastards just looking for someone to do their homework for them).

Okay guys, it seems Advanced Search still fails to search posts by User Name, and this is getting quite frustrating.
    Best regards,
    Igor

Ejaz is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Igor Vartanov View Post
    Okay guys, it seems Advanced Search still fails to search posts by User Name, and this is getting quite frustrating.
    Confirmed.

I'll ask someoen to look into the user name search issue. Thanks for reporting.

Brad!
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

-----------------------------------------------

On the subject of search.. The Search results used to include the Forum that the post/ Thread is in..

Also it does not show you if the post has been deleted already..
    Last edited by GremlinSA; July 14th, 2012 at 02:00 PM.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast