CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Re: New Forum Update

Actually, I was wrong. The right rail is showing on pages it didn't show before. hmmm.....

I'll have to talk internally about this. I believe we had it off on some of the pages before.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

-----------------------------------------------

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Jones View Post
    As to the buttom at the bottom.... I'm trying to remember.... was that a button, or the bread crumbs for the thread. I know some of our forums had that added to the bottom and some did not. If this is what you are referring to, I can see if we can get that added back onto the forum.
    Brad!
    i guess it should be the same "line" as on the top, in case of this forum it is
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Victor Nijegorodov

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Jones View Post
    BigEd -
    Nothing about the ads changed from what was on the site before. In fact, I had the developers compact the stuff at the top fo the page so that if you are on a wider monitor, the amount of space used at the top is less now (more content moved up on the page). The weclome ad you see was there before. You should only get it once a day on the forum.
    !
    Wow, I can honestly say I have never seen the full page add before. Perhaps it is because I was almost never logged out previously and have been automatically logged out three or four times since the upgrade(?). Either way, thanks for the quick response.

EDIT:

I noticed one more thing; in the quick reply box I cannot press TAB + Enter to post the reply anymore. I have noticed this lately on multiple forums, not just this one. Stop discriminating against us keyboard users!
    If you liked my post go ahead and give me an upvote so that my epee.... ahem, reputation will grow.

Yes; I have a blog too - http://the-angry-gorilla.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BigEd781 View Post
    Stop discriminating against us keyboard users!
    Name:  quickReply.jpg
Views: 1149
Size:  37.7 KB
    Best regards,
    Igor

Not only can you not search for posts...but when clicking the "View Forum Posts" in a username's menu...it only shows the posts since the forum update. All previous posts are missing.
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.

Quote Originally Posted by S_M_A View Post
    I have trouble searching for my old posts (only user name specified). The search come up empty regardless of if it's basic or advanced. Is it just me or does anybody else have the same issue?
    I'm running IE9 on Win7-64 Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by PeejAvery View Post
    Not only can you not search for posts...but when clicking the "View Forum Posts" in a username's menu...it only shows the posts since the forum update. All previous posts are missing.
    To add, mainly for completeness: Apparently not any search, including a tag search, reaches back further than the point of the forum software update.

PeejAvery, have you noticed that the code tag in your signature now shows up as

[code]
    ? At least this is what it looks like in my IE8. I've noticed the equivalent effect happening to umlaut characters in comments in code snippets in my earlier posts (inside code tags, of course ). I hope that won't also happen to other non-comment (and non-string literal) punctation characters in code snippets, as seems to have been the case during earlier forum software updates, from what I see in really old posts.

Finally, while I actually do share many of the concerns issued here so far, what I find most annoying is that it's practically impossible to distinguish links in posts from ordinary text, due to the almost identical color. (Interestingly, they're much easier to tell apart from each other in the post preview, probably because the contrast of the text colors against the gray background is lower, being less distracting from the too-low contrast between the two text colors.)
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

Well, now search returns something, but some really weird way.
    Name:  search-results.jpg
Views: 1122
Size:  99.1 KB
    Best regards,
    Igor

Also, what I forgot to mention in my last post: Even for a search not constrained to a specific forum section, search hits are listed with the thread title, but without the forum section name, as can be seen on Igor's screen shot. AFAIR this was different before the update.
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

Closest that I can find gives beyond... http://forums.codeguru.com/memberlis...sername&order=
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Quote Originally Posted by Eri523 View Post
    PeejAvery, have you noticed that the code tag in your signature now shows up as
    Seems that the forum update changed how HTML entities and ASCII was handled. All I did was open my signature and click save again.
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.

Found it. Click on a post that has positive feedback, and click the * under it! So far, everything good!
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Is it possible to make the in-post links a bit more distinctive?

For example, if I use a mid-sentence link (which I just did) it's not very obvious to the reader.

A few suggestions:
    Blah blah blah a link blah blah.
    Blah blah blah a link blah blah. <-- even better

Also, it would be great if post preview could have the same background color as the one used for the forums.
    Last edited by TheGreatCthulhu; June 24th, 2012 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeejAvery View Post
    Seems that the forum update changed how HTML entities and ASCII was handled. All I did was open my signature and click save again.
    Yeah, seems like that. Actually, the forum already converted the entities back into real brackets when I switched post #51 from quick to advanced editing mode to get the preview. I had to edit the erroneously displayed entities back in manually and apply a little hack using empty noparse tags to prevent the forum from doing that again.

So I went back to my old post where I saw the umlaut problem, copied the code snippet and pasted it into a new thread in the Testing Area. (Didn't want to get the original post marked edited with today's timestamp.) The entity did not get converted back to a character when I initially submitted the test post, but it did when I then clicked "edit" and re-submitted the post without changing it. So apparently this is what users can do with their posts if that entities thing causes any technical mess-up or noticable annoyance.

The test post, including a link to the original one: http://forums.codeguru.com/showthrea...test&p=2072735

CODE BUG:

The Code Block used to have a Max width, preventing the Forum from going too wide when code was posted..

Now the width of the Post is dependent on the width of the code posted, sometimes requiring one to scroll the forum left to right and back to read the topic ...

See this thread...
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

I have observed that as well, but I don't think it depends on the length of the code lines. In the thread you linked to and others, all the lines are by far shorter than the width of the code block. They're even considerably shorter than the correct width the code block would have, without collapsing the rightmost ad column.

And there's another thing about the code blocks: Before the update, they used to require horizontal scrolling when the lines were too long to fit, now the lines wrap. I know, developers (including myself... ) shouldn't write/post such long lines anyway, but if I'd have to choose between the two options, I'd prefer horizontal scrolling since it doesn't spoil code formatting.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast