CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Re: New Forum Update

It looks like something is wrong with the 'Views' indicator shown next to threads. All threads started since the update yesterday are showing 'Views:0' even though some have been replied to.

THANKS EVERYONE

I want to say that I'm not ignoring requests. We are reading, listening, and letting some dust settle before jumping too quickly to fix everything. This give scounter opinions tie to chime in (such as increasing font sizes, etc.).

There are a few things I want ot adjust as well. We will make changes (and are making changes).

I have heard you on the color scheme. After we address all the functional issues, I'll see if we can create a second skin for the forum.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

It you want another item on the wish-list:
    I normally use the 'New Posts' when logging in but very rarely pay any attention to, for instance, a VB thread so it would be nice to not have it displayed at all.
    Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.
    Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by
    definition, not smart enough to debug it.
    - Brian W. Kernighan

To enhance your chance's of getting an answer be sure to read
    http://www.codeguru.com/forum/announ...nouncementid=6
    and http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366302 before posting

Refresh your memory on formatting tags here
    http://www.codeguru.com/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode

Get your free MS compiler here
    https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Jones View Post
    I'll see if we can create a second skin for the forum.
    Why can't we just install a few right from vBulletin? (1) They've got some nice looking ones already. (2) It would save you time.
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.

Seems like wasted space for each post, VERTICALLY. Suggest more per page, in general?
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Quote Originally Posted by monarch_dodra View Post
    Where can I find my "User CP"? I love this feature, and I can't find it.
    I agree, this was a nice feature. It gave nice feedback, in that it showed (on one screen) all replies to threads you had subscribed to, as well as all recent reputation.

In the new look, you can select the "Quick Links" dropdown, and then select "Subscribed threads" from there. Or, you can view your profile to see reputation. But you can no longer see both on one screen.

As for font size, I'm OK with the new sizes.

Overall look, I agree with dglienna (directly above this post) that there seems to be a lot of space wasted vertically.

In addition, I don't like that the banner for one post is exactly the same color/appearance as the footer for the post directly above it. They need to be a bit more distinctive, e.g., perhaps a slightly lighter shade for the post footer.

the "Quick Navigation" link, previously near the bottom of the page, is now much harder to find and is mixed incongruously into the part of the screen pertaining to "Replies". It should stand out more, as it is a convenient way to move from forum to forum.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeAThon; June 21st, 2012 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAThon View Post
    I agree, this was a nice feature. It gave nice feedback, in that it showed (on one screen) all replies to threads you had subscribed to, as well as all recent reputation.

In the new look, you can select the "Quick Links" dropdown, and then select "Subscribed threads" from there. Or, you can view your profile to see reputation. But you can no longer see both on one screen.
    The link to this page may have gone, but it is still there - I have it bookmarked. The address is http://forums.codeguru.com/usercp.php

Will you guys please read? It's still there. Settings button in the top right.

The New entry boxes seem to have a little problem with the 'Word Wrap' code, before the whole word would wrap around to the next line, however now the word wrap does not work, it cuts words in half, while it doesn't mess with the Spell checker (which BTW) I need to use, Because my spelling Sucks BIG time, but when your trying to read what you typed it gives you a hard time...

Attached is a Screen shot of this post while i was typing it to demonstrate the problem.. And as you can see, surprisingly every wrapped line has a cut word...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

One more thing I miss in the new UI at thread's bottom is the link to the forum where I browse in. Now I have to scroll to top to get to the forum's head.
    Best regards,
    Igor

Brad, could we please have the following style installed? http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=233338

I'd even settle for the old style vBulletin standard.

Let's let the dust settle on the upgrade, then we can see about adding an alternative color pallet to the forum.

Brad!
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

I thought all the brown color was the dust that had settled.

Okay...I'll be patient.

So, before I start, I want you guys to know that I (we) appreciate your hard work and I don't mean to crap on it here, but as you know, people get vocal about things they dislike far more often than the opposite.

I think the forum just took a bit of a usability hit (for me at least). I'm sure new features were added that are awesome, but I use the forum in a very simple manner, and this usage pattern has become slightly more cumberson. There are two main issues I see:

1. Adds. Why? Why do I have to click a button to skip an add when going to view a different forum or post? Would it be possible to limit adds to anonymous users only? I do not run any sort of adblocker on this site because I don't want to hurt it in any way, but now the adds have become intrusive, an annoying obstacle to my use of the forum.

2. Very little contrast in page elements. Really, almost everything is the same color, a shade of grey-blue. I am having a harder time discerning between different elements in a thread list and threads themselves. In my opinion the old color scheme was superior.

Anyway, those are my main two gripes at this point. I don't mean to be a downer, just trying to give some constructive criticism. Thanks again for your hard work staffers.

EDIT: Forgot one; the button at the bottom of a thread which took me back to the forum's thread list is gone. I now have to hit more keys to accomplish the same task.
    If you liked my post go ahead and give me an upvote so that my epee.... ahem, reputation will grow.

Yes; I have a blog too - http://the-angry-gorilla.com/

BigEd -

Nothing about the ads changed from what was on the site before. In fact, I had the developers compact the stuff at the top fo the page so that if you are on a wider monitor, the amount of space used at the top is less now (more content moved up on the page). The weclome ad you see was there before. You should only get it once a day on the forum.

As to the template and color scheme - I agree that some of the contrasts are not quite right. The black buttons on the brown/greenish bar are hard to read. I've asked for our other forums if we coudl get white versions of these to help on the contrast. Additionally, a number of people have asked for a second color palet to choose from. The forum software supports this and after we get all our forums migrated (we have about 20 including Codeguru), I'll see if we can pull at least one other color scheme that people will have access to use.

As to the buttom at the bottom.... I'm trying to remember.... was that a button, or the bread crumbs for the thread. I know some of our forums had that added to the bottom and some did not. If this is what you are referring to, I can see if we can get that added back onto the forum.

Having said all this....

Let me add that would be disappointed if you guys didn't express your opinions on what could be better (or even on what you like). I can't promise we'll make all the changes or address all the requests; however, if you don't ask, then we won't even know that we should consider it!

I use this forum too, so I often agree with you guys!

Brad!
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast