CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 81516171819 LastLast

Re: New Forum Update

This has probably been said before, but why can't the 'upgrade' be rolled back? It has caused many problems, with there still (after 6 months!) being no end in sight.

I know it would be embarrassing for a tech site to admit defeat on a tech issue, but what is worse - some embarrassment or a broken website?

Okay now here's a icky one...

The Forum would not let me see the last post of this thread...

here is PG 17..
    Name:  pg17.jpg
Views: 1297
Size:  79.5 KB

and when i try to view PG 18..
    Name:  pg18.jpg
Views: 1263
Size:  77.3 KB

Now i know that the PG counter does not always show correctly to Std members because of deleted Posts, however as a Moderator, who can see them, I should not have that sort of problem..

Now I can see that there is a post on the next page however I just could not get to it.. however in the Topic review below the Reply editor does show it..

Name:  pgreview.jpg
Views: 1291
Size:  80.5 KB

I think this problem will probably only affect the Mods and admin...
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

I again get "database errors" from CG. It has begun yesterday about 18::00 GMT.
    The last error was
    Code:
    <!--
    Database error in vBulletin 4.1.5:

Invalid SQL:

UPDATE session
    					SET lastactivity = 1354268522, location = '/showthread.php?t=529893&amp;amp;goto=newpost', inforum = 47, inthread = 529893, badlocation = 0, useragent = 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/537.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/23.0.1271.91 Safari/537.11'
    					WHERE sessionhash = '42414884918c52622bc6815478c20983';

MySQL Error   : The MySQL server is running with the --read-only option so it cannot execute this statement
    Error Number  : 1290
    Request Date  : Friday, November 30th 2012 @ 01:42:02 AM
    Error Date    : Friday, November 30th 2012 @ 01:42:03 AM
    Script        : http://forums.codeguru.com/showthread.php?t=529893&amp;goto=newpost
    Referrer      : 
    IP Address    : 62.12.162.28
    Username      : VictorN
    Classname     : vB_Database
    MySQL Version : 
    -->
    Victor Nijegorodov

Quote Originally Posted by GremlinSA View Post
    [...]

I think this problem will probably only affect the Mods and admin...
    Not really, I'd say: I have set up e-mail notification of new posts in this thread, and correctly was notified of Peter_B's post. However, not only that I couldn't see the post, that "page navigator gadget" didn't even indicate there is a page 18. Yet the thread was displayed as containing new posts in the section's thread listing (IIRC), with Peter's post as the most recent one.

When I came back now in response to the notification of your post, I could flawlessly view both your post and Peter's.

Hmmm... Perhaps this isn't even a new bug but just can rarely be observed since it only affects threads with exactly 256 posts. A pretty magic number after all...
    Last edited by Eri523; November 30th, 2012 at 11:47 AM.
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Eri523 View Post
    Hmmm... Perhaps this isn't even a new bug but just can rarely be observed since it only affects threads with exactly 256 posts. A pretty magic number after all...
    hahahaha.... 256 is a notoriously buggy number.. like in the Original Pac-Man
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls

hahahaha.... 256 is a notoriously buggy number.. like in the Original Pac-Man

Not really, I'd say: I have set up e-mail notification of new posts in this thread, and correctly was notified of Peter_B's post. However, not only that I couldn't see the post, that "page navigator gadget" didn't even indicate there is a page 18. Yet the thread was displayed as containing new posts in the section's thread listing (IIRC), with Peter's post as the most recent one.

When I came back now in response to the notification of your post, I could flawlessly view both your post and Peter's.

Exactly this happened to me also, and it was my post
    I was starting to think the upgrade had become self-aware and was removing any posts containing suggestions to remove it.

John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

The forums are woefully slow again this mrning (UK time) taking between 50 and 70 seconds to bring up each page.

This kind of performance would be laughable for any internet site but for a programmers' forum it's gotten way beyond a joke now. Has CodeGuru given up all hope that these forums will ever work acceptably again? It's certainly giving that impression.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    The forums are woefully slow again this mrning (UK time) taking between 50 and 70 seconds to bring up each page.
    Confirmed. What I experienced in the past days seems to be even worse: On Dec 16th and 17th, it took so long to get a response from the site after clicking on the links in the post notification mails, that I got pretty frustrated, cancelled the request and didn't try again for that day. Then, yesterday (the day of your post), I wanted to see how long it would take eventually to get a response (or an error message), and the load time after clicking on the notification link pointing to this thread ended up as 3:33 minutes. But some graphic bits of the pages (like the small green reputation "LEDs" or thread state icons) either failed to load or took so long that they didn't complete loading until I clicked on to the next page.

Further page load times during this short (about 15 minutes) session weren't as much as over three minutes, but still terrible. When, at the end of the session, I clicked on "Reply With Quote" to post to this thread, I kept watching that spinning "busy" thingy over the button for more than four minutes until I eventually gave up for that day again...

Today, however, load times appear to be back to what they should have been all the time: consistent load times of just a few seconds per page over more than 2:30 hours (a lot of posts to read that came in during the past four days). History has shown that it doesn't necessarily need to remain that way from now on, though...
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

Okay, it seems like troubles are still not over.

The last my attachment that has a non-zero downloads counter is dated by June 2, 2013. All the attachments after this date have zero counters though the files are downloaded alright, according to feedback from forum members.
    Best regards,
    Igor

Quote Originally Posted by Igor Vartanov View Post
    Okay, it seems like troubles are still not over.

The last my attachment that has a non-zero downloads counter is dated by June 2, 2013. All the attachments after this date have zero counters though the files are downloaded alright, according to feedback from forum members.

I already issued an unconfirmed suspicion in that direction in the newer forum software update thread. This seens to be related to the thread view count bug.

Igor -
    I've asked for one of our techs to take a look at this.

-----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

-----------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Jones View Post
    Igor -
    I've asked for one of our techs to take a look at this.
    Brad, it seems your tech never made it. As having more than three months spent on the issue nothing has changed.
    Best regards,
    Igor

It's probably just a option that needs to be enabled. The sister sites aren't tracking downloads either. Odds are the option was disabled to help with overall performance.

Igor - what do you do with the "count" when it's working

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Igor - what do you do with the "count" when it's working
    The same thing what I did before engine update: it gives me an indication how much interesting the sample was for others including the thread originator. Just an easy way for getting feedback.

I don't care much about your sister sites, but I really want this site behavior remain consistent to my previous more than a decade experience. All those little things that worked previously for me but stopped after the engine update, you know, it eventually looks kind of... confusing?
    Best regards,
    Igor

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 81516171819 LastLast