CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7141516171819 LastLast

Re: New Forum Update

It seems that today the forum is slow again around the same time as yesterday.
    Cheers, D Drmmr

Please put [code][/code] tags around your code to preserve indentation and make it more readable.

As long as man ascribes to himself what is merely a posibility, he will not work for the attainment of it. - P. D. Ouspensky

I'm emailing management yet again.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

-----------------------------------------------

Seems like the forums have been running a bit slow as of late. Fully loading pages seems to take about 3 seconds (Alexa claims average time is 5 seconds (link)), most of which seems to be in the forumdisplay.php loading.

Chrome dev tools say about half the time is spent waiting for the server and the other half transferring the data. Anything we can do to speed this up?

On the server side, you might be able to decrease the wait-time for those scripts by cacheing a version of the page and serving the cached version if it was generated XX seconds ago. On the transfer side, can you configure the HTTP server to send compressed data (perhaps it already does this) to reduce data transfer time?
    Best Regards,

BioPhysEngr
    http://blog.biophysengr.net
    --
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on.

Here is the design pattern for the cacheing idea: http://www.theukwebdesigncompany.com...hp-caching.php
    Best Regards,

BioPhysEngr
    http://blog.biophysengr.net
    --
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on.

John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

I was going to complain again about the word-wrap issue (no word-wrap any more when typing) but hurrah! It seems to be fixed this morning. I'm sure it was still faulty when I last used the site (quite recently) so at least some progress is being made!
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    I was going to complain again about the word-wrap issue (no word-wrap any more when typing) but hurrah! It seems to be fixed this morning. I'm sure it was still faulty when I last used the site (quite recently) so at least some progress is being made!
    I do NOT see any progress at all!
    "word-wrap" does NOT work.
    A lot of other "small bugs" have not been fixed either.

Instead I see kinda regress. I've got again this strange message:
    The following errors occurred with your submission
    This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 15 seconds.
    Just because forum engine decided to publish my post twice!
    Victor Nijegorodov

Quote Originally Posted by VictorN View Post
    I do NOT see any progress at all!
    "word-wrap" does NOT work
    That's very strange Victor. It's working for me (with Windows 7 / IE 9). It only began working very recently though (in fact, only today).

Overall though, the site is still pretty slow with frequent "Database Error" messages.

I wonder if the word wrap issue is browser related?

I wonder if the word wrap issue is browser related?
    Maybe. At least I never encountered that problem with IE 8 on XP Pro SP3.

The only wrapping problem I see (and already mentioned) is that the code blocks, unlike the earlier forum software version, now do (not word-aware) wrapping instead of horizontal scrolling. I think that's completely unrelated, though.

What about the forum search?
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

John, I use Google Chrome.
    Some kind of "Database Error" or very similar problems happen sometimes but only afternoons (about noon GMT)
    Victor Nijegorodov

Quote Originally Posted by VictorN View Post
    Some kind of "Database Error" or very similar problems happen sometimes but only afternoons (about noon GMT)
    Hmmm... I tend to notice it in the afternoons too (UK time) although I never attached any significance to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eri523 View Post
    What about the forum search?
    Eri523 - If you mean that it isn't finding old posts, AFAIK the forum search never stopped working. After the upgrade it's preset to only go back a few months but you can change that in your preferences somehow (I've already done it myself but I can't remember what was needed).

Eri523 - If you mean that it isn't finding old posts, AFAIK the forum search never stopped working. After the upgrade it's preset to only go back a few months but you can change that in your preferences somehow (I've already done it myself but I can't remember what was needed).
    Unfortunately, it still doesn't find any posts of my own before Jun 24th 2012 in the C++/CLI section, with the time constraint set to "any date and newer", which is my default and has always been. Of course, there definitely are a bunch of such posts...
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

The key word here is somehow. Until anybody explains what the heck is going on with the search I'm inclined to consider it never worked as expected since the very moment of upgrade. I cannot see anything related to search depth in my profile settings. I cannot search in Advanced Search for "Igor Vartanov" deeper than Jun 21st, 2012. I can see some really weird information when going down the "Find latest posts": for example, with dates back in 2005 (for seven years interval) it says like "375 to 400." Definitely there must be thousands, not hundreds.

The site is slow, again. Ultimately after months of troubles I've lost my belief that it ever gets any better.
    Best regards,
    Igor

Quote Originally Posted by Igor Vartanov View Post
    The site is slow, again. Ultimately after months of troubles I've lost my belief that it ever gets any better.
    I must admit, I agree with you Igor.

Perhaps the worst crash ever occurred at around 4 o'clock this afternoon (GMT). Using Igor's example I tried to carry out an advanced search for all posts by John E containing the word console. As soon as the search began, my browser locked up and I had to shut it down. I then spent over 18 minutes trying to get back onto the CG forums before giving up!!!!

This might sound stupid - but this so-called "upgrade" shows all the hallmarks of having been thrown together by some amateur who's re-written the whole site to run in a single thread. So whenever anyone starts a time consuming operation, all other users get locked out of CG until it finishes!

I'd hate to think that that's the explanation but it seems horribly plausible....

Hmm DB problems are back with a bang ....

A simple reply to topic returned a DB error, and when i first checked the thread the post was put up twice...

We still not getting anywhere...
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

Hmm DB problems are back with a bang ....

A simple reply to topic returned a DB error, and when i first checked the thread the post was put up twice...

We still not getting anywhere...
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7141516171819 LastLast