CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Re: New Forum Update

In my observation, there's one line in the thread GremlinSA linked to that's causing the code block to be so wide, but, I also noticed that the code block is even wider on a larger screen, and then it goes all the way to the right when you remove the ad column - so it simply fills the available width, unless the content exceeds it, in which case it takes the smallest width possible without displaying the horizontal scrollbar. The second part is the problem.

P.S. I really think making the in-post links more distinctive is important.
    Last edited by TheGreatCthulhu; June 25th, 2012 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatCthulhu View Post
    Is it possible to make the in-post links a bit more distinctive?

For example, if I use a mid-sentence link (which I just did) it's not very obvious to the reader.
    +1000
    Is your question related to IO?
    Read this C++ FAQ article at parashift by Marshall Cline. In particular points 1-6.
    It will explain how to correctly deal with IO, how to validate input, and why you shouldn't count on "while(!in.eof())". And it always makes for excellent reading.

Color of links adjusted. It should stand out a little better now.

Brad!
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

[QUOTE=Eri523;2072707]
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Jones View Post

Brad!
    Very good!
    How about increasing the tootip font size?

And, perhaps, change the color of these and other "icons" to something that more contasts with the khaki background?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Victor Nijegorodov

We'll be making a list of the items that need fixed/udpated. More updates coming.
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

Brad!
    Thanks.

P.S. I like it how the editor shows right under the quoted post when you click on "Reply With Quote".

[QUOTE=VictorN;2072833]
    Quote Originally Posted by Eri523 View Post
    And, perhaps, change the color of these and other "icons" to something that more contasts with the khaki background?

May I suggest
    9999cc

or even
    fafafa // forum background

Name:  btnBgrnd.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  11.2 KB
    or something in-between.

P.S. The insert attachment inline feature is great! Had some trouble uploading, though. Only the basic uploader option worked for me (FF 12).
    Last edited by TheGreatCthulhu; June 25th, 2012 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GremlinSA View Post
    CODE BUG:

The Code Block used to have a Max width, preventing the Forum from going too wide when code was posted..

Now the width of the Post is dependent on the width of the code posted, sometimes requiring one to scroll the forum left to right and back to read the topic ...

See this thread...
    I'm using Opera (v11) and here the code is word-wrapped!
    In IE it becomes very width indeed.
    Cheers, D Drmmr

Please put [code][/code] tags around your code to preserve indentation and make it more readable.

As long as man ascribes to himself what is merely a posibility, he will not work for the attainment of it. - P. D. Ouspensky

No word wrapping in for code blocks in Firefox 12 either.

There used to be a setting for code width. I'll ask our techs if they know where that setting is. If anyone knows where the setting is (if it still exst in vBulletin), let me know.

Brad!

Quote Originally Posted by Igor Vartanov View Post
    ...ok I didn't see that, but in my defense; in what world does Alt+S serve as a shortcut to confirm an action such as posting a reply? TAB order is the universally accepted way to traverse controls.

Besides, doesn't the fact that an experienced computer user (who programs computers for a living...) missed that label indicate a flaw in the UI design?
    If you liked my post go ahead and give me an upvote so that my epee.... ahem, reputation will grow.

Yes; I have a blog too - http://the-angry-gorilla.com/

About the new rep/report button labels: I think (rep)/(report) will be confusing to new users - what do you guys think? Maybe (rate)/(report) istead? Or even something along these lines: (rate)/(report)? Of course, in the colors more suitable for the darker background.
    Last edited by TheGreatCthulhu; June 26th, 2012 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatCthulhu View Post
    I think (rep)/(report) will be confusing to new users - what do you guys think?
    D'accord. Though it only took one of my brain's low-priority background threads milliseconds to resolve that, I definitely felt some initial irritation when I first saw it. And, of course, that must be judged taking into accound that I have quite some practical experience with the structure of the vBulletin UI.

Your proposed solutions look like definitely being worth consideration to me.
    Last edited by Eri523; June 26th, 2012 at 06:39 PM.
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

I've asked that light colored icons be created and used on the forum. Those apparnatly have to be created. I'll keep asking abou thtis, but at some point, they shoudl be added. They are likely to be white since that seems to be the color of everything else right now.

While "rep" might be confusing to new users, I think that might be okay. They can only give comments initially anyway (at least until they have made some post, goetten some tenure, et.). Additionally, 'rating" is also used in association to a thread -- you rate a thread.

I'm open to changing the words, but let's make sure we are really making an improvement and that we all (or most of us) agree with what we decide before doing it.

Brad!
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

While "rep" might be confusing to new users, I think that might be okay. They can only give comments initially anyway (at least until they have made some post, goetten some tenure, et.). Additionally, 'rating" is also used in association to a thread -- you rate a thread.
    You're right! Maybe (upvote)/(report) then? I guess (reputation)/(report) would be too long? Or maybe we can even do without them? The tooltips state their purpose clearly.

I'm open to changing the words, but let's make sure we are really making an improvement and that we all (or most of us) agree with what we decide before doing it.
    Of course; nobody's trying to force you into anything, we're just discussing various options, pros & cons...
    Last edited by TheGreatCthulhu; June 27th, 2012 at 06:40 AM.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast