CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast

Re: New Forum Update

About the icons: seems OK now, but I think the problem was with the color of the icons on mouse hover.
    Quote Originally Posted by superbonzo View Post
    (*) BTW, just a very minor issue, the white icons in the bars become dark-blue on mouse over, which seems a bit inconsistent as it loses contrast instead of gaining it ...

I myself didn't find the gray icons particularly invisible.
    Last edited by TheGreatCthulhu; July 2nd, 2012 at 09:56 AM.

About Message Editor Interface: I toyed with the Message Editor Interface options before (under this update), but it didn't seem to have any effect?

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Well, the double-click on the "Reply with quote" trick to "go advanced" works pretty good!
    Thanks, Brad!
    Victor Nijegorodov

Quote Originally Posted by VictorN View Post
    Well, the double-click on the "Reply with quote" trick to "go advanced" works pretty good!
    Thanks, Brad!
    it does. Funky!

OK, I have one not really an issue, but some annoyance. I have set my settings to recive a daily email from all my subscribed threads. This used to come through round about 7 AM every morning. This was quite nice as I could see what was going on directly from my emails. Since the forum change, this has changed to 9 AM. By the time I get the emails now, I already know what was said and done, as I logged into CG before 9 AM.

Is there some new setting that causes this?

Is someone still looking at the "Search" issue? I just did an "Advanced Search" on my own user name, and only one result came up: a thread from back in 2003.

Here's a screenshot:
    Name:  AdvancedSearch.gif
Views: 1219
Size:  17.7 KB

Please let me know. I often search through my old posts, to answer common questions.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAThon View Post
    Is someone still looking at the "Search" issue? [...]
    I didn't forget it, but not being an admin/mod I'm not making any experiments in that direction unless I see some indication that it might have been fixed.

The recent test results you present considerably irritate me though: While it seems that earlier searches simply didn't look back further than the point of the update, which looks quite comprehensible, your new results seem to indicate that now the search may or may not go beyond the point of the update, but doesn't find all the posts that are there. Now that doesn't seem to resemble any comprehensible (to me) logical pattern at all...

[...] I often search through my old posts, to answer common questions.
    I do that myself too (at least when the search feature works), but perhaps the negative impact on users simply looking for answers effectively is even stronger.

BTW: I didn't mention that yet since it looked so obvious to me that it couldn't have been overlooked, but the "views" counting obviously is also broken: Any thread started after the update has a "views" count exactly equal to the number of replies plus one (IOW the total number of posts in the thread). In particular regarding the thread we're in right here this is plain absurd. This also applies to the download count of attachments. I tried it with an older thread in the Testing Area that had an attachment, and the download count didn't move a bit when I downloaded the attachment. (I find that particularly painful as a few of my own favorite uploads were just about to cross the 100 downloads boundary... )
    Last edited by Eri523; July 3rd, 2012 at 07:25 PM.
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

The search indexes are being rebuilt. This ia very, very big forum and that rebuilding takes a long, long time . It has actually ran for a large numer of ours already and will be continued over the next few days. We are trying to run the rebuild at times when the forum isnt' the busiest to try to keep the drain on it the lowest. When I'm told the rebuilding is totally ccomplete, I'll let yuo know.

As to the views counts. I'll have to ahve someoen look into that....

Brad!
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

-----------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    Also (in case no-one's mentioned it yet) "Post Quick Reply" seems to work okay for me - but when I use the more advanced reply page, I've had two occurrences where pressing "Submit" appeared to do nothing. When I tried pressing it again I got a message saying that this post had already been submitted.

So basically, I wasn't being redirected to my new post, after submitting it.
    The same just happened to me when posting a visitor message to another user's profile.
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Eri523 View Post
    The same just happened to me when posting a visitor message to another user's profile.
    I had a similar problem when trying to rate someone's post. It seemed as if ( after you have clicked the button ) nothing happens. I had to visit the post again later, and was able to rate it properly

Quote Originally Posted by HanneSThEGreaT View Post
    I had a similar problem when trying to rate someone's post.
    Talking about Rates .. I've just noticed that the Rate Post button is visible in the GD/CC and testing area forums.. But not sure if i see them because i'm a mod. ( never noticed this before)....
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

Quote Originally Posted by GremlinSA View Post
    Talking about Rates .. I've just noticed that the Rate Post button is visible in the GD/CC and testing area forums.. But not sure if i see them because i'm a mod. ( never noticed this before)....
    That is a bug... The Rating feature was disabled long long time ago for those forums. So nobody could see them.

Quote Originally Posted by HanneSThEGreaT View Post
    That is a bug... The Rating feature was disabled long long time ago for those forums. So nobody could see them.
    Lol .. Okay .. I knew they were disabled looooooonnnnggggg ago, but since becoming a mod, i never checked if it was still MIA in those forums or if as a mod i still saw them...

Will add as a issue in the other thread..
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

That's what I'm trying to say. Nobody, not even mods could see those features. I didn't see them in there. If those buttons are back now, then it is a bug now.

Just noted that the "Before you post" announcement isn't very noticeable in the new layout. Maybe make it bright yellow or green, flashing and three times as big. Lots of new people seem to miss it.
    Cheers, D Drmmr

Please put [code][/code] tags around your code to preserve indentation and make it more readable.

As long as man ascribes to himself what is merely a posibility, he will not work for the attainment of it. - P. D. Ouspensky

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast