CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

Re: New Forum Update

Quote Originally Posted by GremlinSA View Post
    Talking about Rates .. I've just noticed that the Rate Post button is visible in the GD/CC and testing area forums.. But not sure if i see them because i'm a mod. ( never noticed this before)....
    Ratings have now been turned off in the Chit chat forum as well as the testing forum.

Brad!
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Jones View Post
    Ratings have now been turned off in the Chit chat forum as well as the testing forum.

Brad!
    hmm i still see it and can rate... ( has this not maybe changed that mods can still rate in these forums.. i dont have a std account to check....)
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Eri523 View Post
    .... This also applies to the download count of attachments. I tried it with an older thread in the Testing Area that had an attachment, and the download count didn't move a bit when I downloaded the attachment. (I find that particularly painful as a few of my own favorite uploads were just about to cross the 100 downloads boundary... )
    Lol .. 100 downloads is a milestone (But not for Images, I'm talking about Code snips).. then again wait till you get to 1000 , you throw a private party...
    I know there are downloads with more but here's one that absolutely ran away and shocked me when it when it hit over 10 000 ... (7 d/d Average)....
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls

hmm i still see it and can rate...
    I see it too

hmm i still see it and can rate... ( has this not maybe changed that mods can still rate in these forums.. i dont have a std account to check....)
    Quote Originally Posted by HanneSThEGreaT View Post
    I see it too
    What seems to be gone is the ability to rate threads (and that IMO used to be a rather productive tool especially in GD/CC, though I rarely used it myself). As a non-mod I can still see the post rating button too (didn't try if it works, though). Perhaps someone made an off-by-one regarding the vBulletin option to uncheck?

Lol .. 100 downloads is a milestone (But not for Images, I'm talking about Code snips).. [...]
    Sure, the download count of images is rather irrelevant.

I know there are downloads with more but here's one that absolutely ran away and shocked me when it when it hit over 10 000 ... (7 d/d Average)....
    Pretty cool! (However, the age of that attachment is more than twice the time I've been a member in total, so there's still some room for me to catch up... ) One of my most popular ones (humble 82 downloads by now) is kind of related to image processing too: a PNG file dump utility. Seems to be a popular topic in general. (The popularity of both that download and the thread it is in may have been boosted by the fact that there's a link to it in one of the MS support forums.)

Your attachment is just approaching another jubilee BTW: As of now it's 1,996 days old.
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

This site is now incredibly slow and incredibly unreliable for me. Has been since the upgrade. I can only get to it on maybe half the times I try, if I'm lucky. Even when it works, it's really, really slow. It's to the point it's almost unusable most of the time.

GCDEF - Is it slow loading, responding, or just slow overall?

Anyone else having "slow" issues? If so, please report this.

Thanks,
    Brad!
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

It's been fine for me.

Windows XP 32bit
    Google Chrome
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong."
    Richard P. Feynman

I have this (or a similar) problem too. Most of the time the site works quite ok for me; loading is not quite "light-speed" and a noticable bit slower than the old version, yet the usability is quite acceptable. Sometimes, however, I experience quite intolerable page load times. If it just started that day and I'm not too annoyed yet, I can go to the fridge (really relaxed, not running), get a fresh coke and when I'm back have opened it an drank a bit of it, the page may have loaded in the meantime. About just the same number of times this happens I lose my patience while waiting, hit the browser's Stop button and then click the link again. This may or may not take me to the desired page quickly now, with the "may not" being at an unsatisfying at least 60%, estimated. And these "sloth attacks" have a burst character: When it happens, the percentage of slow loads is massive, though not all of them are slow then.

This site behavior is not completely new to me, BTW: I experienced that with the old forum software version as well. But the slow load times at least felt a good bit faster. Also, AFAIR "sloth attacks" were noticably less frequent, though this may subjectively distorted perception caused by the increased slow load time being more annoying.

I haven't done that yet, but if you're interested, I may try to collect some rough timing values of the slow loads. I've just made a new version of my own stopwatch app and this may be a good occasion for another practice test (and simply playing with it... ).

Platform: XP SP3 and IE8 on AMD dual core, not high-end but quite decent.
    Last edited by Eri523; July 9th, 2012 at 08:44 AM.
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

GCDEF - Is it slow loading, responding, or just slow overall?

Thanks,
    Brad!
    All of that. Pretty much what Eri523 described. It took me about 10 minutes to reply to this post. Mostly if just hangs up saying "transferring data from forums.codeguru.com". Every once in a while it seems to respond properly and sometimes I get what appears to be just an unformatted HTML or XML script. Today is its worst day by a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by GCDEF View Post
    It took me about 10 minutes to reply to this post.
    It just happened to me again when switching to this thread in response to the notification mail (not using the link in the mail, though, in case that matters). This time, out of curiosity, I started the stopwatch: Result: 2:30 minutes until I got the page. This was the first time today, though. And if the post is not marked edited when you read it, it didn't happen again when submitting the post. I think I'd never be patient enough to wait whole ten minutes. Sometime during the 10 minutes I'd probably consider the CG site entirely crashed and simply close the browser tab.

[...] sometimes I get what appears to be just an unformatted HTML or XML script.
    I think I've seen what you describe here too, though rarely. I'm no expert on that, but to me it looks like a missing CSS or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eri523 View Post
    It just happened to me again when switching to this thread in response to the notification mail (not using the link in the mail, though, in case that matters). This time, out of curiosity, I started the stopwatch: Result: 2:30 minutes until I got the page. This was the first time today, though. And if the post is not marked edited when you read it, it didn't happen again when submitting the post. I think I'd never be patient enough to wait whole ten minutes. Sometime during the 10 minutes I'd probably consider the CG site entirely crashed and simply close the browser tab.

I think I've seen what you describe here too, though rarely. I'm no expert on that, but to me it looks like a missing CSS or something like that.
    The 10 minutes involved probably 5 different attempts. I didn't just click reply and let it sit. It's been responsive, although slow, for an hour or so now.

John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Whenever I receive an email, I click the link to view the relevant post but I'm often getting situations where the post is wider than my browser window. I end up having to use my browser's horizontal scroll bar to read the posts properly.

I think a similar bug might have existed in the previous version - except in that case, the post width was neatly matched to my browser width. In other words, I never used to see the adverts (or a big white space) at the right hand side of my screen.

I must admit that after a week or two using the new style site, I haven't really figured out what the improvements are. Most of the changes seem to be negative ones from what I can tell. The site has a klunky, amateurish feel to it now.
    Last edited by John E; July 10th, 2012 at 01:38 AM.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Don't know if this was a bug or just a coincidence....

When editing a post (like I just edited my last one) sometimes I don't see the text I want to edit. I have to press 'Go Advanced' for the text to appear. Other times when I select 'Edit Post', the text appears straight away but the cancel button doesn't do anything.

While testing this just now, the whole forum seemed to crash. For about 2 minutes I couldn't access it - even if I tried to select 'Forums' from the home page at codeguru.com.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    Whenever I receive an email, I click the link to view the relevant post but I'm often getting situations where the post is wider than my browser window. I end up having to use my browser's horizontal scroll bar to read the posts properly.
    Can you provide the Link that causes this problem .. There was an Issue with the Code blocks that went as wide as the longest line, however that has been sorted (Added scrollers to the Code block)..

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast