CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Am I the only one...

...who thinks that each visual 'upgrade' to codeguru is actually a downgrade ? Ugly green and dark colors wrongly combined with the blue. Up till now I had the option to choose the 'old' layout, but with the last upgrade this option is gone. Now I see the true uglyness of the color schemes.

So, am I the ony one ?

Re: Am I the only one...

Hey! I was just thinking that I should try switching themes to find one that I like better, but it seems that there are no alternative themes available
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Build + Version Control System: SCons + Bazaar

Look up a C/C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    Kindly rate my posts if you found them useful

Thumbs down Re: Am I the only one...

Nope, you are not the only one.

These "upgrades" are really bad. On one hand, I quite like the new graphics, but the new colour scheme is horrible (several other users have complained about this) and before we had the option to use the older CG colour scheme (which was much much better than in this and the previous upgrade).

I find the ads side bar particularly annoying, now that it pops not only in the forum as before (I can live with that) but also in all the other pages. And before I could collapse some of the sections I didn't want to see all the time (like the Quick Reply and What's Going On?).

And to make things a little worse, the response time has degraded considerably (as in "I will consider not coming back to the forum if it takes forever to load").

I can accept that the site needed some changes, but not this please.

Glad to see I'm not the only one. Was doubting myself a bit. haven't noticed and changes to the sidebar yet

John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

The jury's still out for me at the moment. My first impressions are that the new look is pretty awful but maybe some improvements will get made.

One URGENT improvement is needed to creating links within a post. You used to copy & paste the URL - then after hitting Okay you could type in some human readabe text. Now you need to backspace, delete the text it inserted automatically and replace it with your new text which is a huge step backwards. Even the previous method was a huge step backwards from the one before that - where you typed both entries into a dialog box.

Don't like the fact either that if I move the carat while typing, it seems to disappear and I can't tell where I'm going to insert stuff.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

then after hitting Okay you could type in some human readabe text.
    huh ? Why not use the [url]-tag ?

That's what I meant. You open a URL tag then type (or paste) a URL into it - after which, you can type some descriptive text. Typing the descriptive text was much easier in the old site.

Guys -

I don't get to chit chat much. As such, it is only by chance that I saw this thread. Please consider posting feedback into the Feedback forum.

I agree that some of the color combinations on this skin is not quite right. I've asked for a few changes. As I said in feedback, once some of the dust settles, I'll see if we can get a few other color combinations stuck in a few templates. Because of the substantial changes in the internals of the forum software, old templates didn't transfer to the new version.

Summary - if you want to make sure your suggestions are seen, please post feedback. Your comments are important, so I don't want to miss them.

Brad!
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

[Moved Thread]
    Moved the thread because as Brad said, Best to have it here where feedback should be placed...

Also i tend to agree with some of the issues mentioned..
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Well, it is sad but I have to agree with Skizmo about very bad color themes (and very bad color chosen for "icons" near "Reply", "Reply With Quote" and so on buttons).

I also agree with John that posting the formatted link is now a nightmare comparing with the preceding version where the text block for text to be inserted was already selected (highlighted) so you could just do Ctrl+V and be happy!

// edit: BTW, is it only me who missed (again!) the old CG icon and see instead something similar to what we saw while the previous "upgrade"?
    Last edited by VictorN; June 23rd, 2012 at 10:47 AM.
    Victor Nijegorodov

Just discovered that I'm now at the point of not liking to come here anymore

Is it just me or has the advanced forum search feature stopped working? I'm pretty certain I've used terms like console or stdout in previous posts - but whenever I try to search for those words (in threads started by me) I get zero hits.

For issues with the updated forum, stick to posting in New Forum Update. This thread here is just creating duplicate comments.
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.

Looks llike search file doesn't go before the migration. I'll ask that the database be rebuilt.
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC