CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Adding a New Field to an existing Access Database in the code window

Hi Pals,
    Please am new in this forum and need a little help with an access database program. What code will I use to create another field in an existing access database from my visual basic code window automatically when a user of my application wants to append a field to the database. Thanks

Re: Adding a New Field to an existing Access Database in the code window

To access the structures of tables you have to make use of the ADO Extension (ADOX) library.
    Go to Project -> References and add "Microsoft ADO Ext. 2.8 for DDL and security" to your references.
    This makes available the extended ADO objects. To add a field (column) to an existing table proceed as follows
    Code:
    Public Function AddColumn()
      Dim cat As New ADOX.Catalog
      Dim tbl As ADOX.Table
      Set cat.ActiveConnection = yourConnectionObject
      cat.Tables("YourTableName").Columns.Append "FieldName", [Type], [Size]
    End Function
    yourConnectionObject is your DB connection, and you ought to substitude YourTableName and the FieldName.
    The items in square brackets ore optional and depend on the field type you want to create. (You do not write the brackets).
    If you want to create an integer field you go ...Append "myIntField", adInteger
    For a string filed you'd want to specify the length of 50 characters like ...Append "myStringField", adVarWChar, 50