CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Adding graphs and fancy telemetry.

Name:  fancy-telemetry-system-for-quadcopter.jpg
Views: 2346
Size:  41.9 KBHey guys,
    I'm working on a windows forms application on visual c++ 2010, which essentially is to control the movement of a quadcopter. But i'd also like to gather the flight data on a continous basis by means of graphs and meters. I've uploaded a sample pic of what i require. Could you guys point me in the right direction?
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by hjjayakrishnan; June 27th, 2012 at 10:32 AM.

Re: Adding graphs and fancy telemetry.

There is the Windows Forms Chart control for, as the name suggests, charts. You can find it in the Forms Designer's toolbox in the Data category, so you can visually put it on a form to play with. I have used it myself quite some times, with rather prosaic intentions though, so I have no experience trying to make charts fancy. I'm afraid, though, that the control is not quite at the bleeding edge of fanciness. There's a handful of threads about its use in the forum section here, including screen shots. And as the use of the control is not limited to C++/CLI, you'll probably find some in the other .NET sections as well. If only the forum search feature would work, but unfortunately it's currently broken since the recent forum software update.

I have a faint memory of once having seen ads for some gauge controls, but since it were ads, you'd have to pay for the controls. Also, I don't think they were for .NET. The .NET framework itself doesn't offer anything like that.

As to the HUD, the chance to find something like that out there is even much smaller; too special.

You'll probably won't get that done without writing most of the fancy display stuff yourself and/or using using 3rd-party controls you'll most likely need to pay for. Perhaps you may find sometghing related at http://www.codeproject.com. I have quite some times been surprised what useful things can be found there. But even if you find something specifically for .NET, since C++/CLI is a niche language, it will most likely be in C# or VB .NET, so you'll need to install the respective compiler to compile it (most likely you then can use the resulting DLL in a C++/CLI program), or translate the source code to C++/CLI yourself. A Google search may also be worth a try.

And, last but not least, there's the articles section right here on the CodeGuru site. I'm not quite familiar with it, though, so I can't estimate the chance to find something related there. The articles section is part of the CodeGuru main site, not the forum.
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

Thanks man, yeah its disappointing that visual c++ has only this much to offer. I've downloaded qt now, it's open source and you can create pretty amazing stuff with that, i'm sure you know that already. So i thought i'd give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by hjjayakrishnan View Post
    [...] i'm sure you know that already.
    Though I've never used it myself I think I can claim that. I know some developers who swear by it and also have seen (and partially am using) some nice apps that have been built upon it.

It's certainly great, but does it feature the sort of fancy controls you're looking for (or are they available for free)? I'm mostly asking out of curiosity, but also in case sometime someone else is looking for something similar than you did. I'd appreciate it if you tell me, either when you already have found out or will do in the future.

Anyway, got luck with your project!
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

Hey, thanks. I'm just learning the software, so i'm not quite sure if all the stuff are free. I hope they're free, and i'll post pics as soon as it is done.

I know its an old thread but you might still be at it...

If your looking for gauges for you air speed, altitude etc.... you could try downloading TwinCat 3 Engineering (the Free version) this has a number for C++ controls which include fancy gauges etc.. (I haven't used them in a program yet but could be an easy way to go) as for the graph you will easily be able to do that with the chart control. I'm not to sure about the Video Feeds this will depend on where the data is coming from I would suggest a video capture card and then you could use an Apple Quicktime control
    -Good Luck