CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question Separator Bars and menuStrips?

Rewriting an old dot.net 1.1 program using the new tools available in VS-2010. I am having one heck of a time with menuStrip on my mainform and childforms. I liked being able to add and put stuff where I wanted the mergeIndex my old mainMenu tool BUT that appears to be progress with Microsoft. I’ve noticed that the VS-2010 and other new Microsoft Products do not use separator bars in their drop-down menus anymore? Separating the save commands from the print commands from the recent commands and then keeping Exit separated and at bottom is much more of a hassle with the menuStrip tool but having toolTips is very useful for my more exotic menu selections. My question to you programming Gurus is have these separator bars become passé with the new design of the menuStrip? Just want to do it once and do it correctly when I do it?

Re: Separator Bars and menuStrips?

My personal opinion is NO. Even VS has them.

Red face Re: Separator Bars and menuStrips?

I must be getting blind (I'm 65) - They put them everywhere in VS but the black on grey blended together and I didn't realize that wasn't just the break between menu Items. Skinny little freaking line. This was a stupid question.

I'm just frustrated because I have to do so freaking much more work with menuStrip than the old mainMenu.MergeType.Add where the proper mergeIndex would stick a MDIchild when in focus menu item where you wanted it in the Parent menu and a decade later Microshaft's latest menuStrip tool doesn't have such a feature.

Thanks and my apology - old programmers just get senile and grumpy!

There is no such thing as a stupid question

Thanks for trying to make me feel better but I'm dealing with retyping a dang menuStrip with about 300 different entries and having to do it twice because4 MicroShaft failed to think out the design of the new improved menuStrip so I have to MatchOnly or Replace every dang time to keep my menu looking proper and a herd of separate bars adds to my disappointment!. I should complain - started programming when computers still had operators and data and programs were submitted on punched cards and you got your run back the next day!

This program is my legacy and I'm sure it will be around long after I'm pushing daises so I want to do it right.