CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException When launching MS Project

I have an application in which MS Project is launched. The application works fine for most of the system in my organization. But in some systems I get an exception when trying launching MS Project, and MS Project is not launched

The following piece of code is used to launch MS Project
    Dim prjApp As MSProject.Application = New MSProject.Application

The exception I get in some systems is
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80010001): Creating an instance of the COM component with CLSID {36D27C48-A1E8-11D3-BA55-00C04F72F325} from the IClassFactory failed due to the following error: 80010001.

All systems have similar MS Project versions installed.
    Even in those systems, I am able to open a project file on double clicking an mpp file. Can I know what is the reason for this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Re: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException When launching MS Project

There are several possible reasons for the problem ....

#1 ) Incompatible DCOM Class's in the different MS Projects installed... Check the systems that dont work, as they probably all have the same Ver of MS project that may be older than the ver you used to compile the App...

#2) The DCOM is busy with another request, and cannot accept a new request now.. Catch the error and retry after a short pause could sort out this problem, However limit the number of retry's as you could get stuck in an endless loop..

#3) MS Project is not installed properly, However you say opening the project manually works, so i dont think this is the problem...
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

Thanks for the reply
    1. I have checked for the versions in the systems which does not work. In fact they have they have the same version

2. I tried it in a loop for for around 10 times. At the same time I tracked the task manager also. I can see that WINPRPJ.exe gets displayed for a short time frame and get disappears. This happens for 10 times, as the loop is for 10 times.

3. As per our IT, there is no problem in installation as they say that MS Project can be opened manually.

Quote Originally Posted by zuhrs View Post
    Thanks for the reply
    1. I have checked for the versions in the systems which does not work. In fact they have they have the same version
    Is that the same Ver as each other or the same as your Dev system ??

On MSDN i found this error description
    RPC_E_OUT_OF_RESOURCES - 0x80010101
    Could not allocate some required resource (memory, events, ...)
    So there are some other things to check ....

#4) .NET Framework version .

#5) System Memory. (Total & available)
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls

Thanks for the reply
    Is that the same Ver as each other or the same as your Dev system ??

On MSDN i found this error description
    RPC_E_CALL_REJECTED - 0x80010001
    Call was rejected by callee.
    So there are some other things to check ....

#4) .NET Framework version .

#5) System Memory. (Total & available)

Thank for the information.
    As per our IT policy, they install the same version every where.

But MS Project depends on the language. Some locations have English, some have German etc. Even OS language also depends on the location. But normally works with all combination. But we have a few systems(3-4) in German location where we find this problem. The application works fine for more than 100 systems.

And .Net frame work location may be different, but it will be 3.0 or above. Some have 3.5 also.

And regarding System memory, do you mean the RAM or hard disk memory?

But MS Project depends on the language. Some locations have English, some have German etc. Even OS language also depends on the location. But normally works with all combination. But we have a few systems(3-4) in German location where we find this problem. The application works fine for more than 100 systems.
    And regarding System memory, do you mean the RAM or hard disk memory?
    So here we have the first part of whats common between the 'Faulty systems' but different to the working systems.

BTW: A Different Language Installer = Different Version, While many think that it's just the 'TEXT' that is changed, some languages have Quirks that require a little Code Tweeking to make it work, Hence slightly different code..

See if you cant get a system with the same install to test on ....

Also System Memory = Ram, System Storage = HDD... . How much Ram is installed, and how much is available in task manager..