dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Learning C++ or C# after having learnt Java

Learning C++ or C# after having learnt Java

Hi,

This is my first post in this forum, so please let me know if this should be posted elsewhere.

I have just finished a degree where Java was taught as the main programming language and I am now looking to expand my knowledge by learning either C++ or C#.
    1. At first it didn't occur to me to learn C#, so I just started learning C++, but after seeing how syntactically C# is similar to Java I am now thinking whether it'd be more worthwhile for me to learn C# first.
    2. From the little research I've done, C# also seems to be a much newer language than C++. Should this be a factor in deciding which one to learn?
    3. Is there another language that would be worthwhile for me to learn instead of C++ or C#?

Thanks

Ejaz is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: Learning C++ or C# after having learnt Java

This is a very generic question and perhaps no answer. It depends what exactly you want to do. For example, if you are going to develop enterprise application(s), then Java probably a better choice and if you want to go after device driver development or something similar, then C (C++) would be a better choice.

IMO, its not the syntax that you should learn by heart, but should develop the ability to learn new languages and techniques the way they are intended. And for this purpose, you have to be strong in fundamentals.

Re: Learning C++ or C# after having learnt Java

It depends on the purpose.

And why limit yourself to these three? Objective-C is the language that's been growing the fastest in popularity since 2009,

http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/conte...pci/index.html