CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question How to make a windows service installer?

Hey evreyone, Ive been looking everywhere and Ive tried everything, but I still cant seem to find to get my windows servic application to work. Im in the process of creating a service that get info from the computer like cpu temp, cpu speed and things like that, but every time that I tried to creat my installer, it wouldnt work. Im using visual studios 2010. Any help would be really appreciated and if you could link me to tutorials, it would help a lot

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Re: How to make a windows service installer?

There isn't much to creating a service installer.

1) From the Service1 in design view, right click and choose "Add Installer".
    2) Right click on the "serviceProcessInstaller1" icon, choose "Properties" and fill out the service startup account info.
    3) Right click on the "serviceInstaller1" icon, choose "Properties" and fill out the service startup properties.
    4) Compile your project, and then register the service by opening a Visual Studio command prompt and then type c:\pathtoserviceexe>InstallUtil nameofservice.exe

As you can see, it's pretty straightforward, but since you are having trouble, post back with what doesn't work and the things you have tried.

Just taking the title of this post into account, Arjay is entirely correct in what he said.

That being said, after reading the content of the post it looks to me like deadtech could as easily be talking about building a package and deployment project to install his service on a server, which is a good bit more complex.

This Microsoft article covers the entire process including creating the service installer and creating a setup and deployment project to build an msi...

[URL]http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/zt39148a.aspx[URL]

Sorry that it took me so long to replie to this, and I have tried everything on the first three pages of google, I have looked at MSDN and that hasnt helped me. Pretty much anything and everything out there I have tried but hasnt worked. Anyway, Arjay I will try doing that soon and I will let you know if it works.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Deadtech, can you at least tell us at a high level what you are going for? If you are simply trying to create the service installer and manually register it with the serviceutil approach I outlined about the only thing that can go wrong is you need to run the cmd window under administrator permissions.