CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Create audio delay via code ?

Hi Guys

Does anyone here know of a way to create an adjustable delay for audio?

The goal is to be able to have a program which can delay audio output by an adjustable amount from 0 to a few hundred milliseconds.
    This would need to work with audio that comes in on line in and the output would be delayed. It would be ideal if it could also delay audio from other software such as media player. netflix, ect.

The reason for this is for use with a projector system which has a small delay on the video and causes the voice and lips to be a little out of sync, sometimes just a tiny bit other times a bit more. WOuld be nice to be able to sync this up for a better viewing experience. I have saw software for sale online that claims to do this so I am thinking there should be a way.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.

Re: Create audio delay via code ?

If your goal is just pragmatic, I'm pretty sure I've adjusted this from VLC before. Look under Tools > Track Synchronization.

Actually, it was kind of a nightmare because there was non-constant desynchronization in the video file I was fixing... but that shouldn't affect you, if you have normal video files. :-) VLC works fine!

Not sure how to do it in C# (though pretty sure it's doable.. maybe with one of the DirectSound libraries?).
    Best Regards,

BioPhysEngr
    http://blog.biophysengr.net
    --
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on.

Re: Create audio delay via code ?

VLC will work in some cases but in others it will not as the source could be NetFlix or the DVR which is an external piece of hardware. The only option I can think of would be to have a program which can intercept and delay the audio. In the case of the DVR the audio would be connected to the line in on the pc and would need to delay the output.

I have not did much with sound before so I really have no idea where to start and a web search has not turned up anything useful as of it.
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.