CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

iphone dev on my pc?

I've heard of hackintoshes and I'm not interested. I want to know if there is a legal way to develop for the iphone on my pc?

Thanks

Re: iphone dev on my pc?

Hockelg,

Yup, sure is. Buy yourself a copy of NSBasic (www.nsbasic.com). The delivery method is via web server. I haven't spent a lot of time with my copy yet but I've played with it enough to consider it a competent alternative. The support provided by the authors is quite good as well. Any shortcomings in the documentation is made up by the responsiveness of their staff on the forums.

BTW ... using this particular tool you do NOT need to use the App Store to deliver your programs.

HTH,

-Max

I got dragonfiresdk a few weeks ago. If you know c/c++ you should try it, it's been pretty easy for me to get started on making my mobile app on my pc. It's legal and in goodstanding as Apple accepts apps made with dragonfire into their appstore.

Good luck, hope this helps.

NSBasic restricts you to web apps only. Not a viable option if you want access to all the APIs and frameworks.

I've heard DragonFireSDK is good. However, unless you're using Xcode with Apple's frameworks, you cannot access 100% of the APIs and frameworks for an all-inclusive app.
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.

Quote Originally Posted by PeejAvery View Post
    NSBasic restricts you to web apps only. Not a viable option if you want access to all the APIs and frameworks.

I've heard DragonFireSDK is good. However, unless you're using Xcode with Apple's frameworks, you cannot access 100% of the APIs and frameworks for an all-inclusive app.
    True enough. I use it for casual app development so it suffices. I would think, though, that if you're going to develop a truly native app it would probably be best to get a Mac and develop with Objective-C. In my case I don't need that.

-Max :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Max Peck View Post
    ...if you're going to develop a truly native app it would probably be best to get a Mac and develop with Objective-C.
    100% spot on!
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.

Wow, thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, buying a pricey Mac isn't exactly in my budget, and obj-c has been a bit of a headache. I'm a windows developer, so using c/c++ with Dragonfire actually looks like a pretty good option for me right now.