CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

LNK4204 warnings

About a month ago, I started to dive into Frank Luna's "Introduction to 3d Programming with Directx11". I had no problems up until now and have made it through a good chunk of the book. Recently, I had to switch computers and started by setting up the first demo in the book to make sure everything was properly configured. I set this demo up on my old computer about a month ago with no issues, now I can't even get this basic demo to run on the new computer.

Build log is as follows:

Code:
    1>------ Build started: Project: test, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
    1>Build started 8/8/2012 9:49:11 PM.
    1>InitializeBuildStatus:
    1>  Creating "Debug\test.unsuccessfulbuild" because "AlwaysCreate" was specified.
    1>ClCompile:
    1>  xnacollision.cpp
    1>  Waves.cpp
    1>  TextureMgr.cpp
    1>  MathHelper.cpp
    1>  LightHelper.cpp
    1>  GeometryGenerator.cpp
    1>  GameTimer.cpp
    1>  d3dUtil.cpp
    1>  d3dApp.cpp
    1>  Camera.cpp
    1>  BoxDemo.cpp
    1>  Generating Code...
    1>Link:
    1>     Creating library C:\Users\Rizzmond\Desktop\test\Debug\test.lib and object C:\Users\Rizzmond\Desktop\test\Debug\test.exp
    1>Effects11d.lib(d3dx11dbg.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'C:\Users\Rizzmond\Desktop\test\Debug\vc100.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
    1>Effects11d.lib(d3dxGlobal.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'C:\Users\Rizzmond\Desktop\test\Debug\vc100.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
    1>Effects11d.lib(EffectAPI.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'C:\Users\Rizzmond\Desktop\test\Debug\vc100.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
    1>Effects11d.lib(EffectLoad.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'C:\Users\Rizzmond\Desktop\test\Debug\vc100.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
    1>Effects11d.lib(EffectNonRuntime.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'C:\Users\Rizzmond\Desktop\test\Debug\vc100.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
    1>Effects11d.lib(EffectReflection.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'C:\Users\Rizzmond\Desktop\test\Debug\vc100.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
    1>Effects11d.lib(EffectRuntime.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'C:\Users\Rizzmond\Desktop\test\Debug\vc100.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
    1>LinkEmbedManifest:
    1>     Creating library C:\Users\Rizzmond\Desktop\test\Debug\test.lib and object C:\Users\Rizzmond\Desktop\test\Debug\test.exp
    1>Effects11d.lib(d3dx11dbg.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'C:\Users\Rizzmond\Desktop\test\Debug\vc100.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
    1>Effects11d.lib(d3dxGlobal.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'C:\Users\Rizzmond\Desktop\test\Debug\vc100.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
    1>Effects11d.lib(EffectAPI.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'C:\Users\Rizzmond\Desktop\test\Debug\vc100.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
    1>Effects11d.lib(EffectLoad.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'C:\Users\Rizzmond\Desktop\test\Debug\vc100.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
    1>Effects11d.lib(EffectNonRuntime.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'C:\Users\Rizzmond\Desktop\test\Debug\vc100.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
    1>Effects11d.lib(EffectReflection.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'C:\Users\Rizzmond\Desktop\test\Debug\vc100.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
    1>Effects11d.lib(EffectRuntime.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'C:\Users\Rizzmond\Desktop\test\Debug\vc100.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info
    1>  test.vcxproj -> C:\Users\Rizzmond\Desktop\test\Debug\test.exe
    1>FinalizeBuildStatus:
    1>  Deleting file "Debug\test.unsuccessfulbuild".
    1>  Touching "Debug\test.lastbuildstate".
    1>
    1>Build succeeded.
    1>
    1>Time Elapsed 00:00:09.86
    ========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
    Since the files used in this project are the same exact ones I used successfully previously, I assume this must be some sort of configuration problem with the IDE. There are quite a large number of constituent files, so I'm hoping you can point me in the right direction without having to view them, otherwise I will happily attach them.

Re: LNK4204 warnings

You don't seem to have any errors, just warnings. Why do you say it doesn't run?

LNK4202

Did you try a Clean and then Rebuild?
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

I do not offer technical support via PM or e-mail. Please use vbBulletin codes.

Yes, I have tried a clean and rebuild, the warnings and crash remain. I was going to try and figure out the warnings before the crash, but the crash is from the D3D11CompileFromFile returning a D3D11_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND when trying to load a file. I have attached a picture with the relevant code and solution explorer.

Name:  demopic.jpg
Views: 2787
Size:  94.8 KB

I don't think it's that much about this code, but rather about build settings, especially the linker settings.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

Additional dependencies for the linker are as follows :

d3d11.lib
    d3dx11d.lib
    D3DCompiler.lib
    Effects11d.lib
    dxerr.lib
    dxgi.lib
    dxguid.lib

If this was a linker problem, wouldn't it not successfully compile?

Also the crash seems to be a file loading problem unrelated to the linking of libraries.

In the log you sent, there are no errors, from any tool in the build chain, including compiler and linker. From what I understand from your last post, your app actually does start, except that it crashes during initialization or something. If that is so, then that's a completely different story. So please explain clearly what's the case here and let's not waste our time.
    Marius Bancila
    Home Page
    My CodeGuru articles

Quote Originally Posted by cilu View Post
    In the log you sent, there are no errors, from any tool in the build chain, including compiler and linker. From what I understand from your last post, your app actually does start, except that it crashes during initialization or something. If that is so, then that's a completely different story. So please explain clearly what's the case here and let's not waste our time.
    I'm not trying to waste your time, I came here to try and find the origin of these warnings. The crash was an unrelated pathing issue which I fixed by moving the fx file into the working directory. The program now runs fine but the LNK4204 warnings remain.

I've tried setting a new pdb directory and filename under Property Pages -> C/C++ -> Output Files -> Program Database File Name and a new intermediate directory property pages -> config properties -> general -> intermediate directory, but neither has helped.

You don't have to be stressed by those LNK4204. All they say is that when you run your application you're not having debug information for the vc100 runtime lib. Your own code is built with debugging information so just goahead and debug your application (if needed).
    Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.
    Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by
    definition, not smart enough to debug it.
    - Brian W. Kernighan

To enhance your chance's of getting an answer be sure to read
    http://www.codeguru.com/forum/announ...nouncementid=6
    and http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366302 before posting

Refresh your memory on formatting tags here
    http://www.codeguru.com/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode

Get your free MS compiler here
    https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs

Quote Originally Posted by S_M_A View Post
    You don't have to be stressed by those LNK4204. All they say is that when you run your application you're not having debug information for the vc100 runtime lib. Your own code is built with debugging information so just goahead and debug your application (if needed).
    Ok, thanks for the help.