CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question Creating an initial unbound report

I have been given a project (Crystal Report 8.5) where the desired crystal report to be developed was given to me in many MS Word document hardcopies. Unfortunately, the client has forgotten to specify the tables and fields where things will be coming from (to populate the controls) before heading off for a 2 week vacation and expects alot of progress on his return.

Since the client is away on vacation and I would like to advance in the project (while he is gone), at least in the creation of the crystal report itself even if it's controls were to remain unbound in the meantime I would like to know if this plan will work.

From what I have seen (kindly correct if I am wrong) .. upon creation of a crystal report the table name and database has to be inputted already by the user ... in my case I know what is the database name but have no idea yet which tables data would be coming from.

My plan is to just later bind all the text controls/checkboxes etc. in the said crystal report, later upon the client's return. So is this possible?

It is easily possible in other reporting systems I tried in the past but since I am just starting with Crystal Report any advise from experts will help me not hit too many walls. Thanks for all the help and guidance, I really appreciate it

Gratefully,
    Versm

Re: Creating an initial unbound report

Hi Versm,

The first step in creating crystal reports is to select the datasource (middleware ODBC / OLE DB /Native connection) then select the Database and Tables. On selection of tables you can create links between tables and pull the data into your report pane.

You can also create a Blank Report without connecting to any Database but as you said you would like to create few Text Boxes / check Boxes / Radio buttons etc.. but crystal will not support these kind of controls.

It is purly a reporting tool and not a developing tool.

I don't think you can make some progress without selecting tables and fields.. Sorry.. I hope I am not demotivating you.

Thanks,
    Sastry

Re: Creating an initial unbound report

I have experienced a similar issue, and I just use text files as the data source. You can create a text file (CSV) with column heading fieldA, fieldB, etc, and have data in the columns similiar to the data you expect. You can even user multiple text files and join on a common column. Later when the database is identified, you need to change the data source and map the fields from the real database.