CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Hi i need some help with this project im working on

Hi, there, Im making a windows explorer replacement and i found a projuct on vbForum, what im looking for is how to add new icons and save them, then i wont to be able to open a text file, and when i open up a text editor i made in my program that, when i open a file with my text program i wont to be able to save to main form that is my desktop, im making a operating system simulator. Well take help if anyone is relling to help or some suggestion. thank for reading my post.

Re: Hi i need some help with this project im working on

You would need to use some kind of config file, either a text file, ini file, database or registery enteries. Whatever method you would need to save data about the icon so you can load it when your program starts. As for the other questions you'll need to explain a bit better I can't tell if you are saying that you don;t want to be able to open a text file or if you really mean you want to be able to but can't.

Also note that you do not save anything to your main form, you save stuff to data files then you write code in your main form that reads these data files and takes the desired actions based on what is read from the files.

If you already know how to read and write files then should be simple and if not then your first step should be to look for samples on reading and writing to files or databases and try to get a handle on how that all works.

btw Windows Explorer is not an OS it is simply a clickable interface that sets on top of the OS
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.

Re: Hi i need some help with this project im working on

Can't simulate an OS. Waste of time. Look up the GINA.DLL which gets better and better to prevent it.
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!