CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

How to use custom "C" library with C++ codes

I came across a very strength situation while experimenting with creating custom libraries. In my custom library header, I just have this line of code: "double BankAccountBal ( ) ;". my implementation for the library is : "double BankAccountBal ( ) {return 1500.25;};" I then tried compiling this library using C code via setting the Compiled As under Property->C/C++ ->Advanced-> Compiled As to : "Compiled as C Code (/TC). The library compiled fine. Then after the library is built, I include the library in my main project (and properly include all the correct paths, the library link, etc., ), and in my main () I have this line of code: std::cout << BankAccountBal() << std::endl; I tried to build, and got this error : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "double __cdecl BankAccountBal(void)" (?BankAccountBal@@YANXZ) referenced in function _wmain. Again, I assured you I have set all the correct paths and link variables. But .... if I went back to the library and compiled as C++ codes instead, via setting the Compiled As under Property->C/C++ ->Advanced-> Compiled As to : "Compiled as C++ Code (/TC). Everything worked !

This suggests that if we are to build C libraries to be used by C++ main codes, there are something missing that need to be set, but I don't know what it is. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: How to use custom "C" library with C++ codes

I suggest reading this set of FAQ answers on How to mix C and C++.
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Build + Version Control System: SCons + Bazaar

Look up a C/C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    Kindly rate my posts if you found them useful

Re: How to use custom "C" library with C++ codes

Quote Originally Posted by zz1234 View Post
    In my custom library header, I just have this line of code: "double BankAccountBal ( ) ;".
    This is where you're wrong. C and C++ are different languages. So, the same line is interpreted different been compiled in C unit compared to C++ one. Compiled in C the line declares _BankAccountBal symbol while in C++ it is ?BankAccountBal@@YANXZ. So you need a special trick to make this be compiled identically:
    Code:
    #ifdef __cplusplus 
    extern "C" {
    #endif

/* here C stuff goes */

#ifdef __cplusplus 
    }
    #endif
    Best regards,
    Igor