CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

My first C# Program. A Simple Jigsaw Puzzle App (with video demo)

Hi. I decided to learn C# after getting turned down for a job about a month and a half ago since I didn't have any experience in it. Designing and programming a jigsaw puzzle App would help me get deep into the language, so I tried my hand at it.
    Initially, i was just going to do a simple tile puzzle, thinking that was the same as a jigsaw puzzle. It would have been a lot easier, but then I learned the difference and decided to make a jigsaw app, a greater challenge. The result is my program, which I demo in the video below. although I probably use some algorithms that already exist, I came up with them on my own without any assistance.
    Its slightly different from a familiar jigsaw puzzle since it uses square tabs instead of curve Bezier based tabs, but its just a quick hack to learn about the language.
    Enjoy (if you can?!) and ask any questions you have. I developed it using Visual C# Express 2010.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...0168885&type=2

Re: My first C# Program. A Simple Jigsaw Puzzle App (with video demo)

Hey JD - I'm sure you're really proud of your accomplishment, and I am really happy for you (I mean that 100% WITHOUT sarcasm of any kind). You may not get any responses or feedback here, though, because your post is a little "SPAM" like. You might find a better context for this type of post in the Projects section

http://forums.codeguru.com/forumdisp...mming-Projects

or on code-sharing sites like codeproject where you can share your source code and discuss your project/get feedback, etc.

I didn't want you to think the forum was turning a cold shoulder to you if/when you got no replies fom this post. Believe me, I KNOW how proud you are of your accomplishment and you should be. So I just wanted to take a moment to explain how your post appears a little spammy and how you might get better feedback in a different context.

Congratulations on your first full project in c-sharp! I look forward to checking it out on one of the code-sharing/discussion sites, and hope you'll update this thread when/where you post it. Best wishes!
    Last edited by mrgr8avill; August 27th, 2012 at 10:49 AM.

If a mod can't move it, I'll ask that they delete it and then I will repost it to a more appropriate forum.

It's all good - and I really am curious to see what you've done =)

I'm starting the next phase this week, to learn/build on my web programming skills by adding a database and website for keeping track of player rankings. My initial test database system will be the one included with Visual Studio Express. I will only need a couple of tables if all I'm doing is keeping track of player rankings by number of puzzles solved in a given time limit. SQL is another area I was weak on during job interviews, so this will help me become more adept at it.

I never asked a recruiter if they accept video demos but I figure its something I can email at least as more proof of my work.

All the better to post your project. I'm only a very basic (at best) programmer, but I know enough SQL and c-sharp to get around allright. I'd like to offer my assistance if you need any pointers, get stuck, etc. I'll PM you with my email. It's good to see someone taking the initiative to get ahead-I admire that and will be happy to help if/where I can.