CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Where to start for ios developing?

I have Visual Basic language knowledge. I started to use VB 4 years ago. I write programs for my business. I have little knowledge about C++. I know variable types, functions, loops, arrays, structures, pointers, io operations in C++ and I wrote some small programs with C++.

Now I want to develop games on ios. I have macbook pro. But I do not know where to start. And I do not have any knowladge about Objective C. So where should I start, which books should I read or ???

Re: Where to start for ios developing?

If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.

1453 Gingerwood ave, Milpitas CA 95035, USA

just start to do projects with web app development companies...they come self

No...don't go web app if you plan to do iOS development. You will miss out on core APIs that truly enhance any app. Plus, you will be restricted to running from within Safari which is no true executing environment.
    If the post was helpful...Rate it! Remember to use [code] or [php] tags.

I would say, learn OpenGL for iPhone games development. This has the added advantage of allowing you to write games for most other mobile platforms as well with minimal additional learning. You could of course use Apple's own 2D APIs for game development.

What would you like to?

Pick a project that interests you personally and build it. It doesn't matter if it's something that someone has already thought up and released, as this is YOUR project that YOU want to create.

My first app was a parking application for my local city that shows people where all the restricted parking zones are and where they can park and when. It was a nice little project that I choose because it fulfilled a need that I had and I figured that if I needed an app for that, then chances are someone else would too.

I learned a lot about Apple's APIs, particularly Core Location and Map Kit and to implement one particular feature I even had to use a 3rd party JSON parsing library.

Sure, you may not learn how to build games this way but you WILL learn how the APis work and I can promise you that it's exceptionally satisfying to be able to polish something, stick it on the App Store and see people actually downloading and using it.