CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Preparing for C++ job interviews

I graduated from college a few years with a degree in a STEM field, but I am now looking for entry-level work as a software engineer. Currently, I only know C++ but I am also interested in learning ASP.NET.

A few years ago, I had a few job interviews for programmer positions that tested concepts I already learned before. However, I always failed the interviews because I hadn't used those concepts for a while and I had trouble with basic concepts. I'm sure I could do better on those interviews now.

I've spent the past few weeks trying to re-learn the basic programming concepts and syntax I've forgotten and work on some exercises and small projects. I guess the most difficult concepts I know are learning about pointers, objects, classes, vectors, and arrays. However, I have never learned about common libraries, data structures, algorithms, linked lists, binary trees, etc before. Is it really important to know these concepts for entry-level positions? Or am I better off using my time to improve my existing skills with concepts I already know (eg pointers, objects, classes)?

Or should I get started with learning ASP.NET instead? How long does it typically take to learn it well enough to do well on interviews?
    Last edited by larry burns; September 12th, 2012 at 08:14 PM.

Re: Preparing for C++ job interviews

My 2c:
    Quote Originally Posted by larry burns View Post
    I guess the most difficult concepts I know are learning about pointers, objects, classes, vectors, and arrays.
    Understanding pointers, classes, objects and arrays are the very basic things. If you fail to show that you 100% understand those, you will fail the interview
    Quote Originally Posted by larry burns View Post
    However, I have never learned about common libraries, data structures, algorithms, linked lists, binary trees, etc before. Is it really important to know these concepts for entry-level positions?
    Hardly any company will want to hire a programmer that just learned programming in school and never has no real practice. So questions wrt. libraries will be asked to see if you have some work experience. You should know some (good to know the C++ standard library plus at least one other). Algorithms, binary trees, linked lists, etc: Not relevant really but depending on the interviewer you might have to show you understand them. However, there is no way to really study for those interview questions, it is just experience that you need to show that you can solve a problem.

My advise: If you want to succeed in interviews for programmer positions, start programming! Find yourself a pet project or join an open-source project. Use books (Scott Meyers is great for C++) to widen your horizon. Develop a passion for programming. The more you actually have programmed, the more likely you will succeed in interviews.
    Last edited by treuss; September 13th, 2012 at 06:55 AM.
    More computing sins are committed in the name of efficiency (without necessarily achieving it) than for any other single reason - including blind stupidity. --W.A.Wulf

Premature optimization is the root of all evil --Donald E. Knuth

Please read Information on posting before posting, especially the info on using [code] tags.

I agree with trsuess, get yourself a pet project. It'll help you understand how concepts work, and also allow you to experiment with things that you aren't sure of. You don't want to do experimenting in production professional code. Get the basic concepts of modern object orient programming down: pointers, objects, arrays, classes, polymorphism.

Something else that might be relevant is event driven code, which is taking more and more of a hold in modern programming.

I agree with trsuess, get yourself a pet project. It'll help you understand how concepts work, and also allow you to experiment with things that you aren't sure of. You don't want to do experimenting in production professional code. Get the basic concepts of modern object orient programming down: pointers, objects, arrays, classes, polymorphism.

Something else that might be relevant is event driven code, which is taking more and more of a hold in modern programming.