CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

My application won't start once installed on other computers.

Okay.

First, as an experienced developper. I know this is tricky.

I use standard libraries and INNO Setup, wich is a free setup file creator.

I succeeded in adding NetFrameWork 4.5 installer into the setup (it runs it after installation, and before running my software (named GOFINDER).

Now, i remember that this happened to me, but after three months of programming, mine used to start and still does. But I know it sometimes doesn't start, and I don't know why exactly.

I checked to make sure that I needed only FrameWork 4.5.

But maybe it is because of Visual C++ Runtime wich is not added upon setup.

I will try to check this after posting cause this has just popped up in my mind.

I'm asking you how can I Make sure, that distributing my software won't do that anymore.

Is it because my application file is not set on Run as Administrator?

Cause normally, it opens without this necesity, except as a Shell (well I have to check back but I think it does if I check on the run as administrator checkbox.

The problem is not really with InnoSetup, but I also would like to know how I can check that box automatically upon setup.

they say they have a documentation but I don't find it on my computer.

And... why would it start on my computer, and not on my beta-testers's one?

Re: My application won't start once installed on other computers.

There are literally thousands of reasons why this could be happening.

You'll need to somehow get more information as to why things don't work as intended. What error's if any are you getting, try adding logging to your code to see how far the startup of your app gets...
    Adding logging features in any kind of "complex" program is part of the normal work you need to do, because even it if works for you and works for 99% of other users, there will still be users that don't manage to get your app to run 'out of the box' because of various issues. Being able to quickly identify what's going wrong will save you a lot of time on support issues.

Until recently, I had a problem preventing one of my .NET programs from starting up on any Windows 7 machine it was tested on. The program died silently, so there was no eror message users could report. The key to finding the cause of the problem was analysis of the Windows Event Log (Application section) to which the .NET framework posts an error message when it force-terminates an app due to an unhandled exception.

In my case the problem was caused by a more or less subtle change in initialization behavior of the Form class in the very same .NET framework 4 from earlier systems to Win7. I don't get quite clear from your post whether your program actually is Windows Forms or whether start-up failure is related to actually using the Forms parts of the program, so I won't go into more details here (and it would be off-topic in this forum section anyway... ).

IIRC start-up failure due to a missing C++ runtime results in a message in the event log too, which allows to identify the problem.
    Last edited by Eri523; September 14th, 2012 at 06:26 AM.
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagas View Post
    I checked to make sure that I needed only FrameWork 4.5.

But maybe it is because of Visual C++ Runtime wich is not added upon setup.
    Instead of guessing, you can use a tool like Dependency Walker to check which libraries you need for deployment.
    Also, you can use XN resource editor to check against which version of the CRT your libraries are linked (it's under XP Theme Manifest).

The best strategy IMHO is to install all dependent DLLs (except .Net framework, obviously) in the folder where you install your program.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagas View Post
    I'm asking you how can I Make sure, that distributing my software won't do that anymore.

Is it because my application file is not set on Run as Administrator?

Cause normally, it opens without this necesity, except as a Shell (well I have to check back but I think it does if I check on the run as administrator checkbox.

The problem is not really with InnoSetup, but I also would like to know how I can check that box automatically upon setup.

they say they have a documentation but I don't find it on my computer.

And... why would it start on my computer, and not on my beta-testers's one?
    Your development machine is quite irrelevant for these kinds of issues. It's probably littered with all kinds of redistributables that are automatically installed with Visual Studio and its updates. Those are not available on someone else's machine. You should test whether your software works on a clean installation of Windows. That's quite easy to do with a virtual machine.
    Cheers, D Drmmr

Please put [code][/code] tags around your code to preserve indentation and make it more readable.

As long as man ascribes to himself what is merely a posibility, he will not work for the attainment of it. - P. D. Ouspensky