CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Java Accesss Bridge installation

I tried installing Java Accesss Bridge for a few hours now. But with no success. The installer from ORACLE does not work (rolls back at the end without error message). Many tries of patching some libs together failed. Now I need your help.

What do I need for an application that makes use of JAB. Do I really need some sort of installation or can I simply put some headers and libs together?
    I'm hanging around in english forums, becuase i want to _improve_ my english. So please feel free to correct me.

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Java Accesss Bridge installation

Does it have something to do with this
    Forum: Visual C++ Programming
    Ask questions about Windows programming with Visual C++ and help others by answering their questions.
    Victor Nijegorodov

Yes.

Cite:
    "Java Access Bridge is a technology that exposes the Java Accessibility API in a Microsoft Windows DLL, enabling Java applications and applets that implement the Java Accessibility API to be visible to assistive technologies on Microsoft Windows systems. Java Accessibility API is part of Java Accessibility Utilities, which is a set of utility classes that help assistive technologies provide access to GUI toolkits that implement the Java Accessibility API.

In order for existing assistive technologies available on Microsoft Windows systems to provide access to Java applications, they need some way to communicate with Java Accessibility Utilities. Java Access Bridge supports this communication.

An assistive technology application running on Microsoft Windows (for example a screen reader) communicates with Java Access Bridge DLLs, which in turn communicates with the Java Virtual Machine through Java Access Bridge Java libraries. These Java libraries communicate with Java Accessibility Utilities. Java Accessibility Utilities collects information about what is happening in the Java application, which it forwards to the screen reader through Java Access Bridge."
    I'm hanging around in english forums, becuase i want to _improve_ my english. So please feel free to correct me.

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotaBot View Post
    Yes.
    Where do you see "Visual C++" mentioned anywhere there? Where is the reference to MFC, ATL, WTL, or even plain old C++?

What you're describing is a technology that knows nothing about what language is being used to access the technology. What you posted could more than likely be used in C#, VB, Delphi, etc. or any other C++ compiler other than Visual C++. So what is specific to Visual C++ in that description?

Regards,

Paul McKenzie
    Last edited by Paul McKenzie; September 28th, 2012 at 08:02 AM.

Okayokay please ignore the post above.

It is specific to Visual C++ because the files are ending on *.cpp and because I want to use it in Visual Studio 2010. If I am completely wrong here please move the thread.

Back to topic. I read that Java Access Bridge needs Java SE 6. Well, uninstalled JSE 7, installed JSE6 (JDK+JRE) and tried again to install Java Access Bridge 2.0.1, but the installer still tells me "The wizard was interrupted before Java Access Bridge could be completely installed." without any error message. :-(

Perhaps the Java forum may have more answers. Installing Java and Java related libraries has nothing to do with C++.

Viggy

No please dont missunderstand me. JAB is a C/C++ library, that offers the funtionality to get access to GUIs of Java appilcations like the winapi on win32 applications. It is NOT about Java here. Please do a little Google search before you want to post further "thread-movement" suggestions because you think its's about Java just because it's called Java Access Bridge.

I found a answer on my own now:
    After a week I discovered that Java Access Bridge 2.0.2 works just as an update of 2.0.1 and that JAB 2.0.1 and 2.0.2 just work with Java SE 6. Since Java SE 7 the Access Bridge is included in the standard JRE7. :-/
    Last edited by ImNotaBot; October 4th, 2012 at 05:02 PM.

Please remove this post. Thanks.

No please dont missunderstand me. JAB is a C/C++ library,
    That still doesn't make it specific to Visual C++. That's why I mentioned "any other C++ compiler". There are other Windows-based C++ compilers that are out there - g++,Embarcadero, etc.

If anything, the Non-Visual C++ forum is more appropriate for such questions. C/C++ questions concerning the C++ language, other compilers, or third-party C++ libraries and DLL's that can be used by other compilers goes to the Non-Visual C++ forum.
    do a little Google search before you want to post further "thread-movement" suggestions because you think its's about Java just because it's called Java Access Bridge.
    Why must we do the search? You're responsible for at least telling us up front what specifically Visual C++ has to do with your question.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie
    Last edited by Paul McKenzie; October 4th, 2012 at 10:29 PM.

Okayokay please ignore the post above.

It is specific to Visual C++ because the files are ending on *.cpp and because I want to use it in Visual Studio 2010. If I am completely wrong here please move the thread.
    So your real question is "how do I add C++ files to an empty project?" or "how do I build a DLL using Visual C++, given a set of C++ files?" or similar question?

If so, then there is no need to bring up what app you're trying to create or describe what your library is supposed to do. Bringing up what your application, DLL, or library will do isn't relevant. Adding files to an empty VC project, selecting the correct VC project type, compiling and linking, etc. follows the same sets of steps, regardless of what your library's purpose will be.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie
    Last edited by Paul McKenzie; October 4th, 2012 at 10:41 PM.