CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

How to create [All Programs] in StartMenu

hello Sir ,

As you know Win8 doesn't have a StartMenu like Win7 or other OS before. So I use Visual Basic 6.0 to write a StartMenu myself. But unfortunately my Visual Basic knowledge is poor , I don't know how to write the portion of [All Programs] in the StartMenu.

I know that [All Programs] is actually a path link / shortcut of "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" . I've been searching on the web to find out the solution for 2 weeks. But mostly they show the "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" in a plain text format , by listing the folders and files like :

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Acronis
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Acronis\Acronis True Image Home
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Acronis\Acronis True Image Home\Tools and Utilities
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Acronis\Plus Pack for Acronis True Image Home 2012 ...................

Surely I can't put this result for [All Programs] in the StartMenu . All I want is exactly Win7's [All Programs] in StartMenu ; on the left hand side , it's either icon of exe file or icon for folders , when you expand the folders , you can choose the inside exe files and executable.

I've been surfing on the web for this topic for 2 weeks :

1. In the Windows Forum , they don't have any concern topic as they are not writing programs with Visual Basic 6.0
    2. In the Visual Basic 6.0 Forum , they only show you the result like above in plain text.

Hope you can teach me how to make a [All Programs] in the StartMenu like Win7 with Visual Basic 6.0

Sir , as my Visual Basic knowledge is poor , can you show me this program with a download link of this program. As if only the program post on the webpage , sometimes there may be error after I copy and execute it in the VB6.

Thanks a lot in advance.
    Name:  StartMenu.gif
Views: 744
Size:  65.4 KB

Re: How to create [All Programs] in StartMenu

The INSTALLER usually takes care of SHORTCUTS, both on the DESKTOP and the START MENU
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Sir , I totally don't understand what you mean !!

Would you mind to explain to me detaily , thanks a lot

VB Setup Wizard for VB6. If you don't know WHAT that is, you will have a hard time installing your app on any other machine. Create a SETUP.EXE to install all references, and start menu locations. Inno Setup is an alternate.
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

I think he is looking to create a program that he can run on windows 8 and have it mimic the all programs menu in windows 7. It would be possible to create a program that lists and launches the programs based on the folder content but as I already pointed out on VBForums there is a way to do this without writing code. So it really makes no sense to try an teach someone how to re-invent the wheel.
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.