CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Hybrid View

Famous Actors Who Never Went to Acting School

I am putting together an article that lists famous actors who didn't take any formal training in acting before they ended up acting in films. I have listed 6 actors so far and I am building up the list one entry per day.

Please have a look. I hope you enjoy reading it. Read the article at: http://sathyaish.net/writing/ActingSchool.aspx

Today's entry:

When she told him she hadn't understood his question, he asked again, "You're a model, aren't you?" He gave her his business card and requested that she think it over and that if she decides to become a model, that she ask her parents to give him a call.
    Last edited by GremlinSA; November 23rd, 2012 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Removed Links

Re: Famous Actors Who Never Went to Acting School

I added another entry to the list: Meg Ryan.

The first film that she auditioned for was Endless Love. She didn't get the part. It went to Brooke Shields.

By 1981-82, her acting career began to heat up and people started recognizing her.
    Last edited by GremlinSA; November 23rd, 2012 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Removed Links

And here's another actor added to the list of actors who never went to an acting school. This one might surprise you as will the many more that are yet to come. Keep reading...

His mother re-married and during this time that Tom was in New York, his step father gave him $900 to help him out while Tom waited tables and did other odd jobs while also auditioning regularly for parts, both big and small.

Within 6 months, he landed himself a movie called Taps. Initially, he had only 3 lines in the movie but they liked him so much that they kept increasing his part.

He is the first ever actor whose 5 movies in a row grossed more than a $100 million each. By the 1990's, he was one of the highest paid actors in the world.
    Last edited by GremlinSA; November 23rd, 2012 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Removed Links

Here's a new addition to the list:

Their new condition forced all of them to work as security guards and janitors at Titan Wheels, a local tyre factory in Scarborough, a grimly industrial area of Toronto.

He was until then a straight-A student. On his 16th birthday, he dropped out of school to work full-time and support his family. Gulping together the salival bitterness of a battered pride and smiting grief, his father took him to a local comedy club to perform as a stand-up comic.

His career had many ups and downs, and he lost several roles along the way. His story would probably make for a good 2-hour talk. He went through a severe depression in the 1980's.

Here's another actor added to this list. You're going to be surprised with this one. :-)

I recall vividly. It was 1993. I had just completed my 12th standard. That evening, we were watching television in our one-room rented house. I saw a man's face, unknown to me at the time.

He must've said a few other things in that interview, none of which I remember, but these words stayed with me. They made me remember his face. I didn't know why, back then.
    Last edited by GremlinSA; November 23rd, 2012 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Removed Links