CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Strange COM Issue

I have been using an ActiveX control (lcaobjsv.ocx) in VB6 without any issue. When I try to implement the same functionality in C++ i am getting Class not registered returned from the CoCreateInstance Function. I have queried the registry to find that that the clsid associated with the program id is not present in the registry and is not installed even we calling regsvr32. Has any body experienced annything like this before, and does anyone know how vb is able to instantiate a COM Control without using the clsid.

Thanks

Chris

Re: Strange COM Issue

Any exposed classes will be named in the registry. Have you searched for those instead of the CLSID?
    Please remember to rate the posts and threads that you find useful.
    How can something be both new and improved at the same time?

The program Id is in the registry and it specifies a clsid associated with that program id. However, one of the parameters that must be passed to CoCreateInstance/CoGetClassObject is the CLSID, at which point (as I understand it) the function queries the registry for the CLSID, which isn't present in the HKCR\ClsId section.

Is the ocx being registered with admin rights? Have you tried both with and without specifying OLESelfRegister?
    Please remember to rate the posts and threads that you find useful.
    How can something be both new and improved at the same time?