Let me preface this by saying I have never done any network/web programming. I don't even know if this is in the right subform. Here is my situation:

I have a C# Windows Forms application (created in Express 2010 .NET 4.0) running on my personal computer at home. I need to send the STATUS (a few bytes at most) of the home PC application to a server application (???) that will be hosted on my website which runs on a Linux server on Eleven2.com. I would like to access this information on the server app from an Android phone. In addition to requesting the STATUS, I would like to send COMMANDS back to the C# Windows application using a few simple buttons.

In Summary:

1. Phone asks for STATUS from web server (through web app or other means...native app)
2. Web server then asks C# Windows app (which is running on my home PC) for STATUS
3. C# Windows app responds to server and provides STATUS to web server
4. Web server updates STATUS and is then available to the phone

This is part of a much bigger personal project. I don't need an overly complicated or robust solution. I just need to send a small amount of data back and forth over an open channel. It does not need to be secure.

Websocket, TCP sockets, PHP, Java.... I honestly really don't know where to start. I started looking into WebSocket4Net, but didn't want to end up at a dead end. So I came here for advice.

What do I need on the client side?
What do I need on the server side?

Any help or guidance you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks!