CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[RESOLVED] a thread rating system bug ?

I noted a strange phenomenon; I've posted in four visual c++ forum threads in the last few days and in all cases a 5-star rating has been added to the thread immediately after my post occurred. What's going on ?

Re: a thread rating system bug ?

it happened again today: two threads with no ratings turning a 5-star rating on immediately after my post appeared.

EDIT: ho my ... it happened again, with this thread !
    Last edited by superbonzo; November 5th, 2012 at 06:26 AM.

it's still happening and the fact that's happening just to me is quite embarassing ... can I have some feedback from a moderator on this issue ? ( anyway, I'll try another browser later to see if the problem is on my side ... )

Just click REPORT THIS POST... Never mind.
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Quote Originally Posted by superbonzo View Post
    [...] ( anyway, I'll try another browser later to see if the problem is on my side ... )
    I have observed that effect on threads you participated in myself too, so it's apparently not local to your own setup. (I'm using IE8 on XP Pro SP3, in case that should matter, what I doubt somehow. Actually, I have some vague suspicion about the cause of the effect, and that's rather wetware-related... )

Quote Originally Posted by dglienna View Post
    Just click REPORT THIS POST... Never mind.
    That would be quite a lot of reports to write (from the above you see that I have observed what's going on). Also, as it's a thread rating issue, it can't even be attributed to specific posts, so what should he report?

BTW, I noticed some erratic behaior of the Quick Reply box' scroll bar while writing this post. It seems to react to mouse events not really meant for it, with both the mouse being way apart from the bar and none of the buttons held or clicked.
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Eri523 View Post
    I have some vague suspicion about the cause of the effect, and that's rather wetware-related...
    well, I suppose this cannot be the case because the rating appears instantaneously just after a post.

can a moderator/whatever inspect if those ratings originated from myself or not ?

Quote Originally Posted by Eri523 View Post
    BTW, I noticed some erratic behaior
    eh, this forum needs an exorcism ...

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

can a moderator/whatever inspect if those ratings originated from myself or not ?
    AFAIK, a moderator cannot help.
    Only a site admin. Try to mail directly to Brad!
    webmaster@codeguru.com
    Victor Nijegorodov

well, I suppose this cannot be the case because the rating appears instantaneously just after a post.
    Well, that, of course, rules out my suspicion. I was rather sure I had definitely seen some threads where the 5-star rating appeared later, but you, as the poster yourself, certainly know better, so it seems like I was mistaken.
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by VictorN View Post
    AFAIK, a moderator cannot help.
    Only a site admin. Try to mail directly to Brad!
    webmaster@codeguru.com
    I'll do, but being Brad also the moderator of this subforum, shouldn't he give me some feedback here directly !?

I don't have a good answer as I don't know what is causing the issue you are describing. It was on my list to dig deeper into the issue. I'm going to have to push it to a tech person to look at.

As a side note - I don't always reply if a moderator has already commented.

Brad!
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

-----------------------------------------------

Is anyone other than superbonzo having this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Jones View Post
    Is anyone other than superbonzo having this issue?
    You already may have considered that to be potentially related yourself, but there have been reports (in that long thread about the update IIRC) of conspicuously many threads suddenly getting one-star ratings. But that did not seem to be related to specific users posting in the thread. Also, with some probability, I was able to track that back on threads I participated in myself to at least Nov 2nd 2011 (date of last post in the thread), which of course is long before the update.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Jones View Post
    I don't have a good answer as I don't know what is causing the issue you are describing. It was on my list to dig deeper into the issue. I'm going to have to push it to a tech person to look at.
    thank you. BTW, I tried to post in the test subforum yesterday: the rating issue does not occur there but it's probabily just because thread-rating is disabled in that subforum ( or at least it seems so ).

the problem is still there ... the next post ( on a new thread ) I'll try with a different browser to see if it's a client-side issue.

well, I tried with a different browser a couple of times and, surprisingly, the problem happens only with firefox ... now, has anybody the idea why ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast