CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

File reading hlep

Hello!

Ok I was wondering what would be the best way to read a group of files and grab the 16th line from each? This is what I'm trying to do

I let the user pick the directory where the files are located and put the location in a var. I then get all the files names of a certain type
    from the location. The 16th line of each file is what I want, it is a comma delimited line which I would like to split up either later on or
    right then. So the question is do I do this all in one shot or is there a better way of looking at this?

Thanks for your help!

Stevish

Re: File reading hlep

Ok I have read each file into an array and now I want to read the file back out of the array one line at a time. Can
    anybody point me on how to do this?

I'm looping through the array with a foreach, the code below just prints out the whole file that is stored in the array
    to the textbox2. I can't really seem to find any code that works for reading the array item on line at a time, any help
    would be great!

Code:
     foreach (string s in fileNames)
                {

textBox2.Text += File.ReadAllText(s) + fileNames.Length;

}

I just wrote up something real quick in Notepad++ that you can do that I would recommend.

Code:
    foreach (string s in fileNames)
    {
    	using (Streamreader sr = new Streamreader(s))
    	{
    		int lineNumber = 0;
    		string line = String.Empty;
    		while(!sr.EndOfStream)
    		{
    			line = sr.Readline();
    			++lineNumber;

textBox2.Text = String.Format("{0} - {1}", lineNumber, line);
    		}
    	}
    }
    This will still spit out all of the text in the file right away but you can change the "while" or add a condition in it to only display what you want. So if you want the 16th line to only show you can do something like:

Code:
    if (lineNumber == 16)
    {
         //print the text to textBox
    }
    Also if you don't want to hard-code the 16 you can create a number box or whatever and use what ever number that is parsed from it.
    Last edited by Deranged; November 14th, 2012 at 02:23 PM.

If at all possible, I would avoid writing a program to do this. The shell is entirely sufficient:

Using Bash under Linux or Cygwin on Windows
    Code:
    for file in *.txt; do cat $file | sed -n '16p'; done
    Under the Windows Powershell

Code:
    foreach ($file in get-childitems *.txt) { (Get-Content $file)[15] }
    Note that the lines are zero-indexed in powershell (line one is index zero), but one-indexed in sed (line one is index one).
    Last edited by BioPhysEngr; November 15th, 2012 at 12:34 AM. Reason: typo in syntax
    Best Regards,

BioPhysEngr
    http://blog.biophysengr.net
    --
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on.