CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Primes

Hybrid View

Question Primes

Hello again I am writing a program that takes the users input and finds that many primes; not the primes of the number from the user just that many.

The problem is when I input the amount of primes to generate I don't get all the values from primes variable which I am storing the primes. I know that there are values included that are not prime I just can't get an output other than the first part of primes variable.

RESULTS
    If 0 is entered then output: There are no prime numbers.
    If 1 is entered then output: The prime numbers are: 2
    If 2 or greater is entered then output remains: The prime numbers are: 2
    But it should include 2,3,5,7,9,11...etc (yes I know that 9 is not a prime, I am just trying to div by 2 and check if there is a remainder or not)
    Code:
    ; name: Nick Galewski
    ;
    ; Purpose: CSc475, task 05
    ;
    ; Description: This code will generate the first X number of prime numbers,
    ;    where X is asked for as program input. You will need to handle any
    ;    input from 1 up to and including 5000 primes.
    ;
    ; Compiling this code for 32-bit use:
    ;    nasm -f elf file.asm
    ;    gcc -m32 -o file file.o
    ;
    ;~.~. Definitions for readability: ~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
            %define  SYS_EXIT   1
            %define  SYS_READ   3
            %define  SYS_WRITE  4

%define  STDIN      0
            %define  STDOUT     1
            %define  STDERR     2

%define  MAX_NUMBER   5000 ; The amount of numbers to hold
    ;~.~. Initialized data: .~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
    SECTION .data

prompt1: db 10, "Hello, for prime numbers to be generated please enter desired number. " , 10
            prlen1:  equ $-prompt1
            format1: db "The prime numbers are: %d. ", 10, 0
            format2: db "There are no prime numbers. ", 10, 0
            flen:    equ $-format2
            inputf:  db "%d", 0
    ;~. Uninitialized data: .~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
    SECTION .bss
            input:    resd MAX_NUMBER  ; user input the amount of primes to be displayed
            numCount: resd 3               ; current number to check for prime
            pCounter: resd 1                ; number of primes currently found
            divisor:  resd 2                   ; number used to find primes(if there is a remainder then prime)
            primes:   resd MAX_NUMBER  ; store primes here
    ;~.~. Program code: .~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
    SECTION .text

; Place all your extern declarations in this area.
            extern printf
            extern scanf
            global main                            ; specify starting with main

;~.~. Subroutines: ~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
            ; Place all your subroutine code in this area.

;~.~. Procedures: .~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
            ; Place all your non-main procedure code in this area.

;~.~. The starting function: ~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
        main:
            nop                                    ; this satisfies some compilers

PromptUser:
            mov EAX, SYS_WRITE
            mov EBX, STDOUT
            mov ECX, prompt1
            mov EDX, prlen1
            int 80H

GetInput:
            push input
            push inputf
            call scanf
            add ESP, 8

Precondition:
            cmp DWORD[input], 0   ; compare if input is zero
            JZ Error                      ; jump when ZF set to Error label
            cmp DWORD[input], 1   ; compare if input is 1
            JZ P4                         ; jump when ZF set to P4 label
            mov DWORD[primes], 2  ; move 2 into primes memory location for first prime
            mov ESI, 0                  ; move 0 into ESI will represent  current position in primes memory location
            mov ECX, divisor          ; move the divisor into ECX 
    P1:
            mov EAX, DWORD[numCount] ; move input into EAX
            div ECX                              ; Divide by ECX, and remainder is in EDX
            cmp EDX, 0                         ; check if remainder is equal to 0 
            JZ P2                                 ; jump when ZF is set to P2 label
            INC ESI                              ; increment ESI for primes position
            mov EAX, DWORD[numCount] ; move input into EAX
            mov DWORD[primes + ESI * 4], EAX ; Store value from EAX into the next position in primes
            cmp DWORD[input], ESI         ; compare if ESI equals input 
            JZ P5                                 ; jump when ZF is set to P5 label
            JMP P3                               ; jump to P3 label

P2:
            INC DWORD[numCount]        ; increment numCount to check next number for primeness
            JMP P1                              ; jump to P1 label

P3:
            INC DWORD[numCount]        ; increment numCount to check next number for primeness
            mov EAX, DWORD[numCount] ; move this next number into EAX
            JMP P1                               ; jump to P1 label

P4:
            mov EAX, 2                        ; move 2 into EAX representing the first prime( can't divide 2 by 2 it the only even prime and won't give me a remainder)
            JMP Display                        ; jump to Display

P5:
            mov EAX, DWORD[primes]     ; move all values found in prime to EAX(this is where I think my error is I don't know how to display all the numbers in the stack that I have found?)
            JMP Display                        ; jump to Display
    Error:
            push format2                      ; push message
            call printf                           ; printf call
            add ESP, 4                         ; adjust stack
            ret                                    ;return

Display:
            push EAX                          ; push values found (error I just keep getting 2 as my only prime?)
            push format1                      ; push message
            call printf                           ; printf call
            add ESP, 8                         ; adjust stack
            ret                                    ; for main instead of exit
    nop
    ;~_~_~ (end of file) _~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_
    Thanks guys for all help and pointers

Re: Primes

You seem to have some misconception about the capabilities of the C printf() here. It doesn't even support outputting an entire array of integers in a single call. The "%d" format specifier outputs a single integer it finds on the stack and that's it. You'd need another loop to get more. And even if printf() could do something like that, you're not giving it enough information to be able to do so: You're pushing a single int onto the stack and neither give it the address nor the size of your array.

Also, if

Code:
            numCount: resd 3               ; current number to check for prime
    allocates a single DWORD and initializes it to the value of 3, then

Code:
            primes:   resd MAX_NUMBER  ; store primes here
    would allocate a single DWORD and initialize it to the value of 5000. Or am I misunderstanding something here myself? Admittedly I don't have any personal experience with NASM.

Finally, you initialize the array index in ESI to 0 and then increment it before writing the prime you found into the array. That way you'd leave the first entry of the array unused and in exchange eventually overwrite the end of the array by one DWORD.
    Last edited by Eri523; November 16th, 2012 at 02:25 AM.
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

Im not up on nasm either but I think Eri523 hit it right on the head, it looks like youre creating a single dword value instead of an array which means your:

mov DWORD[primes + ESI * 4], EAX

statement would be overwriting memory that youre not expecting to change (the values youre storing there may or may not remain there)

Also, if you want it to find true prime numbers, all you have to do is have it divide the possible prime by each of the found prime numbers (technically you only need to check up to the square root of the number but that just adds complexity), and check edx for 0. Thats what I used till I finally implemented a few of the popular tests.

Quote Originally Posted by AKRichard View Post
    [...] (technically you only need to check up to the square root of the number but that just adds complexity), [...]
    Not necessarily. I (and others) have elaborated on that and some other nifty prime testing details in an IMO rather interesting thread in the Non-VC++ section some time ago. But I decided to leave discussion regarding the actual prime detection algorithm to a bit later, since, as I interpreted the OP, that wasn't the primary problem at the moment.
    Last edited by Eri523; November 19th, 2012 at 05:56 PM.
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Eri523 View Post
    Not necessarily. I (and others) have elaborated on that and some other nifty prime testing details in an IMO rather interesting thread in the Non-VC++ section some time ago. But I decided do leave discussion regarding the actual prime detection algorithm to a bit later, since, as I interpreted the OP, that wasn't the primary problem at the moment.
    ya, I read that he wasnt overly concerned about true primality. Interesting link you provided though. I had never even thought of just comparing the quotient to the factor, simple and effective, I love it. Not to mention a lot faster than calculating the square root.