CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
    GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

[RESOLVED] Has anybody figured out how to run 2012 apps on XP

Installed 2012 last week and apps won't run on XP or 2003. They give a message "Not a valid Win32 application", or something to that effect. So if I set the platform toolset to Visual Studio 2012 Windows XP, I get a link error "error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp___vsnprintf referenced in function _StringVPrintfWorkerA@20"

I'd rather not go back to 2008, but I'm kind of stuck at this point.

Re: Has anybody figured out how to run 2012 apps on XP

the C++ runtime library in VS2012 uses features not available in XP or 2003.

so you either accept that, write your own runtime library, or make programs that don't need the runtime at all.

I don't know whether this will help or not ...

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archi.../10357555.aspx

edit : re-reading your post, it looks like you might be already doing this. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by GCDEF View Post
    So if I set the platform toolset to Visual Studio 2012 Windows XP, I get a link error "error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp___vsnprintf referenced in function _StringVPrintfWorkerA@20"

I'd rather not go back to 2008, but I'm kind of stuck at this point.
    In case you're not sensitive too much to what really vsnprintf comes from, you may implement some dll, dummy or not so dummy, with the said function exported. At least this will let you be un-stuck from where you now are.
    Best regards,
    Igor

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Igor Vartanov View Post
    In case you're not sensitive too much to what really vsnprintf comes from, you may implement some dll, dummy or not so dummy, with the said function exported. At least this will let you be un-stuck from where you now are.
    I seem to have this working now, but what a pain.

I downloaded the Vista SDK and explicitly link in odbccp32.lib from that SDK, select platform toolset to Visual Studio 2012 Windows XP. That gave the error "The procedure entry point InitializeCriticalSectionEx could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll. " Searching around on that error led me to installing Visual Studio Update 3. That combination seems to work, but it shouldn't be that difficult.