CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

How to capture HD video (video with no Noise/Interference) using DirectX/DirectShow.?

Hi,

I am working on a project in which we capture a video using DirectShow samples. I want to know whether it is possible to capture a video with No noise, No interference etc. in other words, we want to capture High Quality (HD) video using DirectShow.

Is there any sample defined in DirectShow using which we can capture HD video.

Anybody have any idea regarding this.?

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,
    Mbatra

Re: How to capture HD video (video with no Noise/Interference) using DirectX/DirectSh

HD or SD is a technical specification of video resolution. By no means it guarantees any picture quality characteristics which better belong with hardware rather than software parameters.
    Best regards,
    Igor

Re: How to capture HD video (video with no Noise/Interference) using DirectX/DirectSh

it's also unclear what you want to achieve.

do you want to capture the screen "whatever is happening there" and store it in a HD format ? or do you mean you want to "intercept" a HD videostream (from DVD, Blueray, TV signal, ...) and capture that ?

Capturing the screen is technically easy enough, and doing it in HD makes little difference, other than that the PC needs to be fast enough to handle the framerate and resolution you want. Things may be harder if you want to capture "fast motion" action, such as a game or video playback. If you don't have something to sync your capture code with the actual screen updates, then you could experience high levels of tearing and other unwanted artifacts.

intercepting a videostream may be harder as it could be encrypted or somehow protected by hardware. It is even possible the videostream never even gets into the videoframe buffer (=video memory), but is instead only "projected" on the display by the videocard as it renders the display. A screencapture will then just show "empty" space, a colorkey, garbage or even a fixed image at that position on the captured bitmap.

Quote Originally Posted by OReubens View Post
    it's also unclear what you want to achieve.

do you want to capture the screen "whatever is happening there" and store it in a HD format ? or do you mean you want to "intercept" a HD videostream (from DVD, Blueray, TV signal, ...) and capture that ?

Capturing the screen is technically easy enough, and doing it in HD makes little difference, other than that the PC needs to be fast enough to handle the framerate and resolution you want. Things may be harder if you want to capture "fast motion" action, such as a game or video playback. If you don't have something to sync your capture code with the actual screen updates, then you could experience high levels of tearing and other unwanted artifacts.

intercepting a videostream may be harder as it could be encrypted or somehow protected by hardware. It is even possible the videostream never even gets into the videoframe buffer (=video memory), but is instead only "projected" on the display by the videocard as it renders the display. A screencapture will then just show "empty" space, a colorkey, garbage or even a fixed image at that position on the captured bitmap.

Hi OReubens,

I am using DirectShow to capture video stream using webcam or any capture device connected to the PC. As soon as user clicks on the capture button, whatever video stream user is seeing in the camera, that will be recorded. Now its of somewhat poor quality. I want to make this clearer ( say No Noise, No blurness, clear picture). I want to save it in an HD format.
    Now a days we can see devices which says HD Video recording and Preview. what are they actually doing.?
    I want to implement the same method in our application.

Regards,
    Mbatra

Quote Originally Posted by Mbatra View Post
    I am using DirectShow to capture video stream using webcam or any capture device connected to the PC. As soon as user clicks on the capture button, whatever video stream user is seeing in the camera, that will be recorded. Now its of somewhat poor quality. I want to make this clearer ( say No Noise, No blurness, clear picture). I want to save it in an HD format.
    The two issues are absolutely unrelated. Quality is quality, and format is format. If your webcam produces noisy picture, how could saving it to HD format (whatever you understand it is) improve/eliminate the picture artifacts?

Now a days we can see devices which says HD Video recording and Preview. what are they actually doing.?
    They usually lie. Last week I bought a car DVR device that claims FullHD support. Indeed, the thing is able to produce 1920x1080p 30Hz H264 video records. But perceivable picture quality is comparable to VHS tape recorders.

I want to implement the same method in our application.
    Let it ultimately be somewhat better than I described above.
    Best regards,
    Igor